Chapter twenty three

Finally, on Jonathan's one month birthday, he got to home. He was starting to act like a normal newborn. He was eating and breathing on his own and slept most of the time.
Dean went to pull the car around as we got ready to leave. He called me just as I got Jonny situated in his seat, all ready to go. He was still a little tiny so his clothes were a little big and it being right before Christmas, it was pretty cold so he was dressed in a plain blue long sleeved onesie with matching pants and a white snowsuit over it, that was very big. He can barely fit in to newborn cloths but the only size they had for his snowsuit was 0-3 months. It was adorable.
Suddenly, Dean was back and apparently so were my two other kids, Lisa, Ben, and Bobby. Sam was waiting in the car for everyone seems things were still a little tense between us.
"Guys, I was expecting to meet you at the airport. At home." Lisa was the first to hug me as the persuasion began. So happy to see my best friend after so long (three weeks but who's counting?) and to finally see my kids, it was amazing. Connie was too young to come in so Bobby stayed outside the door with her and patiently waited for us to come out.
"We couldn't wait that long. You know that. Besides we wanted to be here when this little guy sees snow for the first time." We all laughed as Mindy came with the paperwork to let us go. It was so bittersweet.
"Oh Mindy, thank you for everything you have no idea what a help you've been for us." I said, hugging my son's nurse as tight as I could. She has been the rock that I needed for a month now and I'm not sure what I'm going to do without her.
"Just send me pictures of the little guy from time to time. Let me know how he's doing. He has been one of my favorite patients and trust me I am not just saying that." And she really wasn't. I've watched her sign out so many babies in the last month and I've only heard her say that a handful of times.
Just as I was about to speak up, alarms started going off and she looked apologetic towards me. I just gave her a grim smile and nodded, letting her know I understood. A baby needed her.
"What is that mom?" DJ asked me in a whisper. I just kissed his forehead and pulled him close, looking down at Jon.
"Nothing good. Let's go baby." As we silently left the ward, papers signed, bags packed, I sent a silent prayer to the parents of those alarms. They were going to need them. I hoped they could save their baby, however sick it may be, but I'll never know because I get to walk out with my premature baby and walk out of this hospital knowing that I had an angel on my side somewhere. I get to put this nightmare turned blessing behind me while they may be walking straight into a whole new nightmare with which they won't wake up.

Sorry it's short (well shorter than usual) but it seemed pretty complete and I didn't want to ruin it.