Chapter nine

A few days have gone by and no one is really saying anything more about the baby and the test. Now, I have a doctors appointment to get to. Lisa had to work so she couldn't watch Connie, we had to take her with us.

"Mom, I'm old enough to watch Connie. I don't think it'd be too big of a problem. I looked to Dean and he shrugged. DJ is thirteen now and he seems responsible enough to watch his sister, but still, I had a nagging in the back of my mind that it wasn't a good idea. Ben wasn't  here either so he'd be by himself if anything happens.

"Deej, I don't know. Connie is a big responsiblity, do you really think you can handle it?" He nodded quickly. I looked down at Connie in my arms. She is asleep now and she just fell asleep so she should be down for a while. I looked at the clock and saw that Lisa isn't going to be much longer, an hour. Maybe two. I took a deep breath and looked back at my son. He looked hopeful.

"Okay fine. I'll put her in her crib. If she starts to fuss, just get her milk, she should be fine and will go back to sleep. If by the off chance she needs her diaper changed, the diapers and wipes are in the hunch next to the door in her room." DJ nodded and followed me into the room. I told him to let her sleep and just go watch television. I gave him the monitor and we went back into the living room. We should only be about an hour, what's the worse that could happen.

The doctors appointment went good and Dean and me were walking out when my phone rang. I took it out of my pocket and I didn't recongize the number. I answered it, placing it to my ear and waiting for the person to speak.

"Lucy?" I heard Lisa on the other end. She seemed distraught. God, what happened?

"Lisa? What is it?" I asked, suddenly scared out of my mind.

"It's the kids. DJ called me at work and told me he had to call 911. I don't know what happened but you need to get to the emergeny room quick." I looked to Dean and started running for my car, handing him the phone.

"Lucy, give me the keys." I got them out of my bag and handed them to him. He quickly sped off, luckily the doctors office wasn't far from the hospital. We got there in minutes and ran into the ER, looking for DJ but was only met with a paramedic holding my crying daughter. Where was DJ?

"I'm her mother, what is going on?" I said, taking Connie from the man holding her. She had her arms out, crying for me. I held her tight, trying to calm her down.

"Sir, what is happening? Where is our son?"

"You'll have to talk to reception. I just brought him in. I just didn't want to leave the baby alone." The man answered.

"Well, thank you so much for staying with her. We really appreciate that. Thank you." I said, Dean pulling at my shoulder to find out where DJ is.  We made it to the desk as Connie finally calmed down. We asked for DJ and suddenly the doors opened and a ER doctor met us, telling us to sit down.

"Are you two DJ's parents?" The man asked. We both nodded and he continued. "I'm Dr. Mullens. Everything seems alright now but he was complaining about pain in his stomach. He was in a lot of pain and he said it seemed to hit him suddenly." Pain? He didn't mention anything about hurting when we left. What is happening.

"Dr. Mullens, can you tell us what is happening to our boy? Is he going to be alright?" Dean asked, I could tell in his voice that he was at a breaking point. This was a situation I've never encountered before. I have never had to take DJ to the hospital for anything, not even a broken bone and he's a boy. He should have been here years ago.

"Mr and Mrs. Winchester, it seems that your son's appendix has ruptured. He needs immediate surgury before infection can set in. He is being wheeled back into the OR right now and it should only be about an hour. We'll let you know when he's in recovery." I couldn't breath and Dean seemed to notice. We were stuck in this waiting room for at least an hour as our son is having surgery. This isn't right.

"Lucy, here hand me Connie and try to breath. I'll call Lisa and have her pick her up to take her home. She shouldn't be here."

"DJ shouldn't be here." I said, suddenly. He looked up from his phone and took a deep breath himself.

"At least its medical and not the alteritive." I looked up and honestly, I couldn't believe he said that.

"Alteritive? Dean are you kidding me? Do you really think I want to hear that right now? That doesn't make me feel better about the situation. He shouldn't be here at all, no matter the circumstances." Dean nodded and squeezed my hand. I just shook my head and leaned back in my seat. This is going to be a long night.

Lisa came and picked up the baby. We were a little confused as to why he called her but we didn't try to think much of that. She took the baby home and we waited about fifteen more minutes before the doctor came out, telling us we could see DJ.

"There was a small complaction during the surgery but he should be fine now. We're going to keep an eye on him over night just to make sure everything is alright. He'll be waking up soon so he'll be a little groggy at first. He's in that room there, I'll be in to check on him in a little while." Dr. Mullens explained but Dean had to stop him from walking away.

"What small complaction?" He asked, quickly.

"There was a moment when your son stopped breathing during surgery but we were able to get his breathing working again and it didn't reaccure. We are certian that it was a momentary problem and it's not uncommon. It happens all the time. Like I said, we are keeping an eye on him to make sure everything is alright. He is going to be fine." We both nodded and walked to where DJ was lying. He was sleeping now and we let him, it has been a long day for everyone and we both just sat there, holding his hand.