Chapter 26 Turning the Page

Ashton  POV

After the camping trip, I haven't been doing well. My depression seems to be back full throttle. Yesterday I broke down my mind wandering back to that dark place. Luke talked me down though and eventually, I felt better. Today though has been pretty good.  It's 10 PM  and Luke and I are playing video games when my phone rings

"Hello?"

"Ashton?"  It's Michael and he sounds really upset. "Hey what's wrong? " I sit up concern seeping into my voice. "My mom and I got into a fight and she said she wished she never had a kid,  can I come over?  He sobs  a little and I can hear the wind blowing. "Are you walking?"  I  ask concerned  "Yes, I had to get out that house, my dad moved out while we were in the mountains and didn't tell me. "I know it's late but Luke won't mind, right? I need to get out of here.  I turn to Luke and mouth who it is. He nods looks nervous before I hang up. "Was he crying?" I nod his lips twist into a frown. "I'm going upstairs to tell my mom he's coming over. I watch him leave and sigh. I wish my friends and I weren't going through all of this mess, me with my family Mikey with his parents and Calum being mute for the first few months of us dating. The only one of us who seems to have it all together is Luke. 

"Hey, Ash? You want to go with me to pick up Michael, I don't want him walking  over here this late." He puts on his flannel his keys in hand. "I agree let me just turn this off." I turn off the Xbox before following Luke upstairs. The drive is silent but I can feel fear radiating from Luke. We turn on to Michael's street and see he's not there.  "Maybe he's a few blocks over? He said he was walking, wait I'll call him hang on." I click his contact and put the phone on speaker. 

"Where are you?" 

"We came to your house to pick me up, um are you not far from your house?" He sighs. " I'm by the park."  

"Were coming ok?" Luke sounds panicked. 

"Ok." I hang up and glance over at the blonde whose eyes are focused on the road. "I wonder why his mom got that mad at him, wouldn't you want to keep things normal for your kid and not blow up on him? I mean his dad just moved out this week." 

"I know let's just pick him up and go back to your house and we'll figure it out, we always do. I ignore the throbbing pain in my arm. We pull up to the park which looks a little sketchy but luckily Michael sees us and yanks the door to the backseat open. He plops down slams the door and says nothing for a moment. "What happened?" Luke asks softly turning around to look at him. He runs his fingers through his hair nervously  " I don't even fucking know. She just... started yelling at me for no reason. I had asked where dad went and she said he moved out and I said where and she's like how am I supposed to know? You're the reason he left." 

"No," I say sadly. 

"I freaking screw everything up  I guess." His shoulders slump as Luke puts the car in drive. "Your mom's going to hear about this I know it, she gossips about me behind my back. I'm a good kid, right? I don't do drugs, get into fights, and my grades are ok but she's treating me like I'm some criminal. "She's going through a lot right now maybe that's it and the anger went off on you."  Luke says calmly.

"You want ice cream? Or we can catch a movie." I suggest. "I just want to hide under a blanket and beat Luke and Mario Kart. Luke laughs "We can do that."  I  say. We get back to Luke's and go right for the basement. I hear Luke and his mom talking upstairs. "They're talking about me huh?" Michael asks biting his lip his fingers fiddling with the controller. "You know walking over here wouldn't have been a great idea right?"   " I know but I just had to leave my damn house, Ashton!" His green eyes soften a little. "Sorry I'm just really mad and confused right now," He apologizes. " I understand let's forget about this and just play the game," I say turning to face the TV. Luke comes back downstairs. "Your playing without me?" "We're starting and then you play after," Michael says as he selects his character.  "Fine." Luke rolls his eyes and sits next to me and watches us play.