Chapter 29 Eighteen

Luke POV

*A few days later*

"How are you making sure he won't be home all day?" Calum asks. "I texted Katelyn and said that they should hang out, and if he does come back early you guys can hang out in the basement and Michael and I will finish painting," I reply as Michael makes a face. "Do we know that he will even like the colors we picked?" Michael pipes up. " I think he'll like it, at least I hope he does."

"Also are we going to dinner tonight for his birthday too?"

"Yeah my mom made reservations at like six so we have all day to do this," I gently put some of the things on his desk. "Does this feel weird touching his stuff? "We're just moving it Mikey relax." I say and look at him. "What if you break something?" "Pssh like what?" I ask and the sound of something shattering on the wood floor makes the three of us jump. "Something like that." I look down at the ground to see a broken pot. "Is this sentimental?" "Only one way to find out..." Calum says pulling out his phone. "No! You can't call him, let's just be very careful with everything paint the room and then try to glue this together." "Luke it's shattered." I shoot Michael a look and sigh. "We'll take care of the bedding," Calum says. I scoop all the broken pieces and put it in a separate box. By the time we're done the room is empty and everything is in the loft.

"So one of the fifty shades of grey it is," Calum comments making Michael smirk. "Are all the walls going to be grey or...? "I was thinking two walls can be white breaks up the color a little bit," I say popping the paint open."What are you an interior designer?" Michael jokes picking up a paint roller.  I got to reply when my phone begins ringing.

 "I'll get it." Calum says and looks at the screen. 

"It's Ash should I pick up?"  

"You'll give away what we're doing!" I fuss he looks at me before setting the phone back down. "Let's start I guess?" I say pouring the paint in the pan and handing them paint brushes.

Three hours later the four of us are covered in the paint due to splattering paint on each other and the room is half done when we hear the front door open. "Luke? are you here? I look over at the other two hearing Ashton downstairs. "Hey I'll be right down," Calum calls and drops his paintbrush. "You're covered in paint! He's going to question it. Calum sighs and goes into out the loft and pulls on one of Ashton's muscle tanks winks and goes downstairs. "We have one more wall. "Then it needs to dry and when are we moving his stuff back in?" Michael asks. I furrow my eyebrows. 

"Well shit."

"We can move it in after dinner?" I suggest "Won't he need to change for dinner because hey fancy restaurant?" Michael questions looking over at me and then back at the wall he's painting."Michael stop bringing up the fact that I didn't think this through. "Hey guys... what are you doing?!" Ashton asks looking over the room. "We meant for it to be done when you came home but... happy birthday. We all decided to redecorate your room and stuff but the paint's not dry and we have one more wall to finish and yeah." I scratch the back of my neck with my paint covered hand and cringe, that's going to be fun to wash off. 

"You don't like it?" Michael asks concerned by his silence. "I love it I just can't believe you did this for me." We hear Calum running up the stairs his eyes big. " I tried to keep him downstairs but um..." "It's okay, did you help with my room?" Ashton asks. "I did! Do you like it?" He nods smiling before kissing his cheek. "You two are so into PDA." Michael snorts. "You're just jealous, you want me to help you guys? The surprise is kind of blown now."

"I still want you to be surprised in how we decorate it, but sure you can paint," I say giving up a little, He smiles really big and takes the roller from my hand and gets to work.