Chapter 16 The Night is Young

Ashton POV

"Do I look okay?" I   fix my tie and look in the mirror. "Ditch the tie," Luke says poking his head in my room. 

"White skinny jeans?"

 "It's a black light party." He says slowly. 

"Okay, those look like women's jeans,"  I say he blushes in response. "They look good, it's not a diss." 

"Sounded like one." 

 " Is the rest of my outfit okay?  "I'm picking up Calum in like fifteen minutes." 

"You look just fine, is this like a date. "Second date since the first..." I trail off and look around my room making sure I have everything. "Just text me when you get to school. Oh! I almost forgot your tickets hang on."   I wait in the hall and look at the pictures on the wall of  Luke and his brothers and frown knowing the last time I even saw pictures of myself on the walls in my house was when my mom was alive, after that my dad took them all down, and that hurt. A lot. "Here, what are you looking at?"  "Nothing," I say averting my eyes and taking the tickets. " I look awful in all of these." He comments nodding to the framed pictures above us. "You look fine." "No I don't but my mom says I look cute."  He rolls his eyes. "I'll see you later," 

"Text me when you get there I may or may not see it," Luke says. "I will."  I  get my phone off the kitchen counter and am out the door.  I park in front of Calum's and look in the rereview mirror to see one of my curls sticking up. I  groan as I try to push it down but it won't obey and sticks right up. "Stop that," I mutter. I see the blinds move and get out the car and lock the door and walk up to his front door. " You look handsome."  He says. " You too." "What's that curl doing sticking up?" "Wouldn't stay down no matter how much hair gel."  He laughs and kisses me before pulling away, the way he looks at me is a way no one has looked at me before.  "Y- you want to get going?"

"Sure."  

"Can you unlock your car?" 

 "Oh sorry." I  click unlock but accidentally hit the panic button making my car alarm loudly making us both wince and cover our ears. 

"Ashton!" 

"Sorry I THOUGHT I UNLOCKED IT!"  I yell and hit unlock and turn off the panic button as some people are now peeking out their windows.  I can feel my cheeks getting warm with embarrassment as I get in the car. "I really fucked that up huh?" I say  "I was afraid the neighbors were going to come outside." He giggles. "Glad you thought it was funny," I say starting up the car. "You want to listen to some music?"

"Of course!"   I hand him my phone and let him scroll through my playlists before hearing I Must Be Dreaming" By The Maine which he sings along to making me smile.  The song finishes and  quiet for a moment.  "Is it weird that I'm nervous? This is like my first school dance."   He asks glances over at me. "Nothing to be worried about, their like kind of fun." I shrug as I pull up to the school. "I'll make sure you have fun alright?"I assure him.  

Calum POV

So high school dances are about average when it comes to the measure of how much fun you're going to have.  The music is so loud that it hurts and I just want to leave, but I can't seem to be loud enough to ask my boyfriend to leave so were awkwardly standing against the wall.   "Want to dance?" He yells over the music and holds out his hand toward me. I look around the crowded dance floor. I take his hand following him to an empty patch of the dancefloor.  The music slows as people filter out of the gym.   "Have you've never slow danced?" "Maybe at a wedding, I went to but that doesn't count so no."  

 "Well, I feel  special." He giggles making me smile. "I like us being together."  "Me too." He leans in and kisses me quickly as the song changes. "Hey, you made it!" Luke says enthusiastically. "We did, were you able to convince Michael to come?" "I was." He says proudly only for him to walk in looking extremely bored. "Can I go yet? I came to support you not to watch high school kids grind up on each other for two hours."   He glances over at a couple a few paces away who are doing exactly what he just said."I agree," I  reply. " I mean it's not great but..."