Chapter 4 Invisible

Calum POV

I could stop all this. Runaway and not tell anyone, Just leave never look back. The teenage mute running away... smart. I've been at my new school now for three months and Ashton and I have become close. I pick up my phone and text him. I don't know if he is awake but I hope he is. Deciding that I don't want to be alone I get up and sneak out my room and downstairs and out the door. The night air is a bit cold and I can see a few stars in the sky as I walk to Ashton's house. I try to yell his name up at the window but my vocal chords are like a box set on a dusty shelf and I can't utter a sound. 

Frustrated and throw a tiny pebble and hope it will wake him up but nothing. I sit on the grass and let the blades slide through my fingers as I pick them I try to speak moving my lips to make words but the sound of them is not there. I sound out words in my head. I see movement by the window and see Ashton look out. I wave up at him and then he moves away. I frown thinking I scared him off so I get up and climb back over the fence and begin walking away. When I hear something. I hear bushes and then running and panicked so I run thinking I'm going to get kidnaped. I stop running and turn and see it's Ashton and feel my fear melt slightly. " Sorry I scared the shit out of you but I heard you throwing rocks so I came down. Why are you not home? I pull out my phone and type.

Couldn't be alone

"Right." He's quite as we keep walking. I type in my phone and look over at him before handing him my phone.

I wish I could actually talk to you and not have to type or write everything. I wish I could actually speak and show people that I'm not stupid. But I can't and I wish I could speak so that I could say that I love you.

I stop walking and look at him and feel my heart racing. " You like me?" Ash asks. I nod and feel like this was an awful idea, for leaving in the middle of the night and asking one of my only friends here that I love him. No good.

"I think you're pretty adorable too." He says. My mouth is hanging open but I quickly hide my shock and nod. I feel his hand on mine and my heart beats faster. "I know you feel like your invisible most of the time, and I do too but to me your not." My heart swells as we walk down the street. "We can go back to your house if you want," Ash says. I nod. We walk down the empty street and down my block. I open the back door slowly hoping it makes no sound cause if I'm caught, that's bad news. We get inside and go up to my room. I sit on my bed and look at Ash. "What are you thinking about?" He asks sitting next to me. I lay back in my bed and pull out my phone hands shaky due to my excitement

That I love you. I type. He reads it and smiles. "I love you too, will your mom get mad if she finds out I'm here?" He asks. I shake my head. "I'm going to sleep on the couch." He says gesturing to my couch against the wall. I frown. "Why not with me?" I type. "I'm not a cuddler really." He says and looks sad about it. Oh, I type. He says nothing but kisses my cheek before laying on the couch. I hate that we can't talk from across the room so I just lay in the silence until I get tired.

Ashton POV

I wake up early and leave Calum's room before he's awake. I leave a sticky note by his phone saying for him to meet me later. I feel bad about us not sharing a bed last night and I know he was disappointed but I don't really like being touched in the first place so cuddling someone is a step I'm not ready for, but I'm afraid he thinks it's him. I push my hands into my pockets and walk down the two blocks to my house. I unlock the door and hear my dad yelling at the TV and silently pray that he won't notice me. " Ashton?" my shoulders slump as I stop tip-toeing up the stairs, he turns to look at me he looks mad like he always does. " Just going up to my room," I say. " Where were you last night?" " A friends," I say. He shrugs in reply and bolt up the remainder of the stairs and go in my room.