Chapter 37 Detention

November 2nd 

Calum POV

I'm in my second period when one of the deans walks in looking down at a sheet of paper. "Can I help you, Ms. Whitney?" My teacher pauses the lesson while the dean  looks down at the paper again "Sorry to interrupt Ms. Stern do you have a student by the name of Calum Hood in here?" I sink down in my seat. "Oh yes! Calum." My teacher looks right at me. I close my laptop and stick it in my backpack and get up. I follow Ms. Whitney out of the room in silence. "Do you know what's happening?" She asks loudly. Perhaps she thinks I'm deaf and not mute? 

"I'm getting detention because of my fight with Owen," I reply. She looks surprised that I spoke as she glances at the paper in her hand and then back at me.  

"Yes, you will have detention for the week unless something changes." She says walking briskly down the hall. 

"What time is detention over?" 

"Same time as school, 2:45." I nod okay it can't be that bad. I enter the room and see Ashton at the desk by the window doing some homework. He looks up and flashes me a smile.  "Are you Calum um... Hood?" The teacher asks reading off a list of names. "Yes."  I hold my backpack straps tightly and bite my lip nervously. "Great, I'm Ms. Tate, pick a seat and  no talking, but if you must keep it at a whisper." She says. Ms. Whitney gives her a curt nod and leaves the room.  

12:00 pm and I'm in detention and am so bored. I've finished all my homework, ate my lunch, and sat quietly since eight this morning. Owen keeps throwing spitballs at me and I'm over it. 

"Stop okay?"

"Make me." He snaps.

"I'll kick your ass again how about it?" Ash says leaning back in the desk chair. "I can't believe it, detention, and with the gays," Owen mutters. "Were great company huh?" Ashton mocks. "You really are giving off a bad boy vibe and I sort of like it?"

"Well, my violent streak was one time only." He says glancing over at me.

"Good, you mad is scary."

"Hush," Owen whispers right as the door opens. "Can someone tell me why you got detention?" We both look up to see my mom and Luke's mom.  Ms. Tate looks up from her computer. "Oh hello,  did you schedule an appointment with  Mr. Jefferson? His office is down the hall." She says. "No, I wanted to ask my son why he's in detention in the first place." Liz crosses her arms and looks at Ashton.  I look over at him and see a small smile on his face for a minute and it's probably over the fact that she just called him her son, but I can't dwell on that warm feeling as my mom looks at me sternly making me slide down in my seat. "A-Ash you go first," I say and avoid eye contact with my mom. "This dipshit over here, beat Calum up after a soccer game so being a good boyfriend I didn't unleash my anger, but when I learned that he gave your son and a black eye and a concussion... I got mad and sort of kicked his ass in the parking lot." He then does his charming smile. Liz looks between the two of us. "First off... language.... second this is the kid?"

"Yep!" I say brightly. Owen looks up from his notebook. "Uh hi?"    Liz pauses a moment before speaking. "Do you just like to start fights?" She asks her tone cold. "I-" Owen looks over at us his confidence plummeting. "Well I'm going to talk to principal Jefferson"  She says my mom nods in agreement. "Can we leave detention then?" I ask looking at Ash who's pulled on his beanie and is packing up his things. "Detention isn't over." Ms. Tate says looking at the clock. 

"As his parent, I have the right to pull him out of detention if he's in here for something he didn't do." My mom says. "But your son got into a fight."  Ms Tate protests. "My son would never start a fight." She looks over at me. "Principal Jefferson said that Calum started the fight."