Chapter 32 Team Bonding

Calum POV

I'm practicing for our game tomorrow and can't get my conversation with Ashton out my mind. Is the team really using me? It seems to be on this team has made my life worse and not better. "What you thinking about?" I turn to see Owen standing next to me. " Just got in a fight with my boyfriend it's nothing." I kick at the grass with my cleats. "I have never been a fan of him." I cock my head to one side. 

"Why?"

"He's a loaner and standoffish," Owen says simply.  "Maybe to you since you bullied him." I say sharply. Owen raises his eyebrows. "Ah he told you huh? I just needed to show him who's boss is all." He shrugs. "I'm pretty sure he did nothing to deserve you sticking his head in a toilet but could  be wrong."  I  turn to look at him. Owen's quite for a moment.   "I don't get why you waste your time with him anyway." He says before I can reply our coach calls us over. Tonight I'm going over to Cory's for dinner and I'm nervous. I should be excited about this but I'm not. I stare at my phone on my desk. I know he's mad at me, but I really need to hear his voice right now.

"Hello?"

"H- hi."

"Hey Cal, how are you?" I stay quite not knowing really what to say.

"Hey?"

"Hi sorry I.. just needed to talk to you." I shut my eyes. "Sure everything okay?" He asks. "Well not really, the team captain Cory, whose paper I wrote  invited me to his place for dinner and I don't really want to go anymore," I admit. "Then don't go, if you want you can come over here." He offers. "Why are you still being nice to be even if I've been a flake lately?" I ask. "Because I love you, and your'e  still one of my closest friends and that's what friends do, but if you do go to that dinner and something is weird just call me or Luke and we'll pick you up okay?" I smile a little at this. "I will thanks for that."

I arrive at the house and ring the doorbell. "Hey! Come on in." I follow Cory inside and wish I was with Ashton but push the thought out of my mind. "All the guys are in the basement, you want a drink?" "Sure." I poke my head downstairs. "Go on down I'll  bring your drink to you."   I go downstairs to find Owen sitting on the couch playing video games. He looks up and waves me over. Awkwardly I sit next to him. "You ready for our game on Friday?" "Y- yeah." I lie. The longer I sit here the more uncomfortable I feel. Cory comes downstairs and hands me my drink. "So is pizza okay for tonight guys? The parents are out of town so.." Everyone nods. "Pizza good Calum?" He asks. "Yeah of course." I take a gulp of my drink and smack my lips. Taste a little different than the usual Ginger ale but I shrug it off and listen to Cory talk about his girlfriend and the other guys chiming in about the girls they like. 

"Hey, Calum?"

"Hmm?" I tune back into the conversation. "You sure you are gay? Maybe you just haven't met the right girl." Cory says. "I'm pretty sure."

"We already know his taste in men is bad why do you think in women it would be much better?" Jason says, Owen nods in agreement. I down my whole drink before replying. "Leave Ashton out of this okay? I don't know why some of you don't like him, but he's my boyfriend alright? Also don't question my sexuality either, if I'm honest all of you are toxic masculinity at it's finest. Owen looks at Jason and both of them look shocked. " Hey Cory, give him another drink," Owen laughs his hand clamped down on my shoulder. I hear Cory go upstairs and clench my empty cup. "Good to know your not into any of us." Jackson laughs. "What is that supposed to mean?" I raise my eyebrows confused. "Since your gay, I was worried you'd make a move in the locker room." He laughs but it only makes me madder. I feel Cory pulling my empty cup from my grasp. "You have some muscle." He says. "What? Oh, thanks." I hand over the cup and wait for Cory to return. "Here I made you ice tea." He says. I shrug and take a long drink before turning to glare at  John. "Let's leave the boy alone alright guys? I turn my gaze to Nick ( the only guy who come to think of it, hasn't said anything mean to me) They nod before turning back to the Tv. "Thanks," I mouth to him he nods cracking a smile.