Chapter 9 Sing to me

Ashton POV

I'm waiting at Calum's house and hoping he'll be here soon so I can avoid an awkward conversation with his mom. "So how did you two become friends? Most people ignore him because he doesn't speak." She says. "I can read people really well and he's a cool guy," I say. "This is the first time  in a while I've seen him this happy."  I hear the door open and turn and see Calum. "Hey sorry I got here early," I apologize "It's okay my appointment ran over time my therapist thinks a session will make me talk perfectly again." He says and nods up the stairs. "You said that you sing?" He starts. "I mean I  used to." 

 "Do you think you still can?" I think about it. "Just for me?" He pleads. "What song do you want to hear an awful cover of?" I say clearing my throat.  "Do you know the song Nightingale?"  "By Demi Lovato?" I question. "Yeah, it reminds me of my mum." He says softly. "Oh sure," I say  I sit on my bed and think of the lyrics before nervously singing. " I can't sleep tonight, wide awake and so confused, everything's in line, but I am bruised." Ashton nods for me to keep singing. I get to the chorus and he sings along and I've never heard a nicer voice in my life.  I stop singing and look over at him and smile. "Are you crying?" 

"Just miss her." He says and shrugs. "I understand." He's quiet for a moment. "When you stayed over and didn't cuddle me, was that cause of your dad?" He frowns and pulls the sleeves of his sweater up so I can't see his hands. "That made you feel bad, didn't it?" He inquires.  I  sit down on my bed next to him and nod. "Yeah, I thought it was me.."

"It's not, I'd love to cuddle you."

"Then do it." 

"I'm scared okay?  I don't want to get hurt, I tense when someone touches me I need time to build that trust." I blink. "Do you trust me? I would never hurt you." He says sadly "I do trust you this is me problem, to be honest. "Can we start by holding hands?"  My voice shakes. He smiles and my heart beat increases, I love his smile. "Sure, we can do that." He looks at me and smiles a little. "What?" "You're so cute." He says and blushes. "Not really but thanks." Do you want to listen to some music? I don't like silence."  

"I'm always down to listen to music." Ashton gets up and grabs his phone off his desk and scrolls through his music holding his phone out so we can both see it.  "Have you listened to Mayday Parade? I love the song Anywhere But Here." I suggest. "I listen to them sometimes here let me find that song. Seconds later the song begins playing. Ashton smiles at me before moving his hand so that our fingers are intertwined. He closes his eyes and I admire how he looks, as the sunlight slips through the window making him look even more gorgeous. 

I've never really been in love before I met him because no one really paid attention to me before or made an effort to talk to me, even before I was able to do the same with him. "Were holding hands," I whisper. He opens his eyes and looks down at our intertwined fingers. "We are."  I scoot closer to him and nervously lean in to kiss his cheek when he opens his eyes and looks at me giggling. "What is it?"  He asks. I move back to scared to explain what I was going to do but he seems to pick up on it and leans in his hands rest on the sides of my face before he kisses me. I close my eyes not knowing if I'm doing this right or not. 

"I love you so much." He says. "Not as much as I love you, but I don't want to sound cliche so let's just kiss again? He giggles before kissing me again.  "This is random but my favorite song, don't judge me but Hey There Delilah." Ashton blushes and laughs.  "I'm not judging, I love that song it's so cute!" He switches the song to it and smiles as he sings along and I'm in love with his voice.  I lay my head on his shoulder and feel him tense and sit up. "S- sorry. "No, it's  okay." "You sound unsure," I say he shakes his head. "This is the only way I'll  learn to like physical touch, really it's okay." He assures me and continues singing along. I relax and sing along with him my voice sounding strange to my own ears.