Chapter 40 Everything is Fine ( at least that's what I keep telling myself)

Michael POV

So my birthday is today which is great, but the whole family situation? Seems to crumble before my eyes day by day. My phone ringing from my desk pulls me from my thoughts. "It's either Ashton, Luke or Calum," I say aloud as I pause my game to check it. Oh, it's my dad.

"Hello?"

"Hey, are you coming over today?"

"I was hoping you would come over for my birthday?

"It's today?"

"Yes, dad it's the same every year," I replied rolling my eyes. "We can go get some food and watch some movies. He suggests. "I want mom here too." I insist. I hear him sigh on the other line. "You know we don't really get along all that well."

"Do it for me at least?" I beg. "Fine, I'll be there at five." I hang up and try to squish the feeling of joy cause I know it won't last.

I get dressed and look at myself in the mirror and smile a little, I recently dyed my hair jet black and I really like how it looks. I bounce down the stairs and tell my mom my dad's coming over and her face is unamused. "Why?"

"It's my eighteenth birthday and I wanted to spend it with you too," I say. "I rather him not come here." She says. "Can you be nice just for tonight? You two were married for years and now you hate each other? Makes no sense." I say getting a drink from the fridge. "Guess I'm cooking for three." She mumbles and goes into the kitchen. I frown at her reaction but shake it off, this could be good.

I'm sitting at the table with both my parents and I can feel the tension. "I moved into an apartment a few weeks ago." My dad says casually. "I heard, you moved out while I was up in the mountains with Luke and Ashton, a little bit of a dick move," I mumble the last part. "I know but I was thinking, maybe you could live with me." My mom shoots him a look. "I'm not saying you have to," he says glancing over at her. "I couldn't live with you full time, your not close to school. I mean unless I get my license but still it's far." I say my mom looks proud that I rejected the offer making me feel bad. "See he rather be with me, also why get a license if you're going to move out of the country?" My mom asks raising an eyebrow.

"move where?" My dad asks looking confused. I stay quite as my mom talks about moving and when we're leaving. Just listening to her talk about it upsets me. Theirs a moment of silence and I can't help but not stay quiet about this.

"So you think if you move you just going to uproot me from everyone and everything I know, like my life, doesn't fucking matter?"

"Michael language." She snaps. I try to bite my tongue but I'm so mad that I can't help it. "I don't care! You've been like this to me for as long as I remember and I'm sick of it! I'm an adult and I have a life here, in Denver and you're just going to up and move and drag me along? Also, do you even know if your moving or not or are you just mad that your marriage is broken and you want to escape your problems." I slam my fist against the table and feel the pain of it a few moments later. I look up at my mom who looks shocked and then furious. "Go to your room." I freeze for a minute.

" You can't send me to my room I'm an adult!" I scream back. She's still but her eyes are glaring at me.

I didn't-" I blurt knowing I can't take my words back. "You're not an adult if you keep acting like a child." She yells. I want to say something anything but just bite my lip and go up to my room and slam the door and sniffle until I'm angerly crying. I turn on my X box and plug in my phone and blare my music, so if I start crying my parents can't hear it. I open my closet and crawl to the back of it and find the pack of beer I stashed in here along with some other alcoholic drinks. I shouldn't drink, it won't help my problems.