Chapter 43 Blackout

Michael POV

I hear my phone buzzing from my nightstand and groan.  Tonight is New Year's Eve and I'm at my dad's apartment, and  all I've done is play video games and sleep. I don't feel like myself but instead, I just feel empty. I'm about to play another round of video games when I see a text from Luke.

Hey, I got invited to a new years party, and was wondering if you wanted to go? Ash is over at Calum's and I don't want to go alone. You can bring Winter if you want.

How long do you plan on staying?

I watch the three dots pop up. I sit up leaning my back against the headboard and look around my dark room. I've hardly decorated it cause I'm never here and it's just a white box.

Don't think so,  it will be nice to get out, how was Christmas?

The worst

Why?

I had to sit through dinner with my moms family while she bad mouthed my dad and talked about us moving. Everyone agrees that we should just stay here but she's insistent on it. She even has boxes in my room and keeps telling me to pack

I'm  sorry

I  stopped asking if there was any way we could stay cause I know she will say no.

Well, she knows your life is here? and you have one more year of high school left I don't get it and honestly, it sounds a bit cruel

I know but I just go with it, it's that or live with my dad and have her not love me because I live with him

You did learn to drive right?

I did... my dad scheduled lessons and took me to get my permit and stuff, my moms not happy about it because...

Your moving to another country

Yeah.

Well, I'll text her and ask if she wants to go, can I stay with you tonight if I do end up going? 

Of course.

I text Winter and watch the little dots

I'd love to! Want me to meet you there or?

I can pick you up

Six?

Sounds perfect

Great see you then.

I get out of bed and look through my closet for something to wear jeans and a shirt I guess, I don't even really care. I  pull on my flannel as I watch the snow fall outside and know I'm going to freeze.   I get my keys off my desk and put my phone in my pocket and go downstairs. My dad turns his attention away from the tv.

"Going out?"

"Yeah, I'm going with a girl from school." I lie. We've been officially together since about October but I haven't mentioned her to either of my parents, despite Luke saying if I do that I'll stay here. "Luke's going too," I add. "Ok have fun, text me if you're coming home or not." I stiffen at his tone. I want to say this isn't home but bite my tongue and am out the door.   I drive to Winter's house in silence which may be a bad idea since I tend to overthink but I ignore it and turn down her street. 

_________________________

"You okay you seem like your thinking about something?" She looks over at me. "I'm fine just tired but I'll be good after this drink." I nod at the drink in my hand.  But that one drink turns into four and then I lose count.  I  stumble through the room trying to find my girlfriend and perk up when I see her in the corner of the room looking so shy with a cup in her hand she sees me and smiles.