-55- Gone for the Summer

Being gone all summer was fun, but it was missing something. Eddie was missing something. Of course, unless you were him, it'd be hard to pinpoint exactly why he was so excited to go back home, but to Eddie it was obvious.

His friends were there.

Richie was there.

Honestly, he wondered wether Richie missed him as much as he missed Richie. He hoped so.

He sat in the backseat of the car, listening to his Walkman play loud rock, which reminded him of Richie. He knew his mom didn't approve of that music, but she didn't approve of Richie either, so she could suck it.

He stared out the window, patiently waiting out the time until he could see Richie again. Or, as patiently as he could. Every seven songs, maybe, he would ask his mother how long they had left. She got so tired of this, that eventually she just started tuning him out. There were only two and a half hours left, and Eddie was impatient as ever. He bounced his heel on the floor, chewing the gum he had bought so much that his jaw was starting to hurt.

"How much longer?" he asked again, hoping it was less than an hour at least.

His mother sighed. "Eddie, I'd say about fifty minutes. That's enough questions, now."

Eddie's eyes lit up and his mouth pulled into a bright grin. He bit his tongue and stared out the window, watching the trees pass by him. He even spotted some maple taps, and one deer, stood warily by the side of the road.

Soon, a sign on the side of the road read: Welcome to Derry!

Finally, he spotted the chapel of the church on Neibolt street, over the trees. Then, the kenduskeag. They came into town, and both the fear and excitement set into his stomach.

Eddie's eyes traced over Henry Bowers, and he ducked down under the window. Well,he thought to himself. Guess I'm really home. When he found it safe to peek back up, they were turning the next corner. He looked around, wanting to take everything back in, everything he hadn't seen at all for five months. Before he knew it, they were pulling into his driveway.

He collected his bags and all the trash he had dropped in the car on the eight hour car drive home, and made his way slowly up the front stairs of his house. He heard heavy, fast footprints behind him, then someone lifted his bag out of his hand, panting.

"Welcome back!" Richie yelled, all his ridiculousness somehow splashing back onto Eddie in two simple words. "Man, I missed you."

"I missed you too, Rich," Eddie grinned. They walked up the stairs outside and into the house, then up to Eddie's room as Eddie's mother unpacked the rest of her own bags from the car.

Once they were inside, they dropped all Eddie's bags on the floor, and Richie shut the door. Immediately, he grabbed Eddie's waist and pulled him in for a short, intense kiss; all the emotion from five months apart packed into one kiss, before pulling away.

He sighed. "I missed you, boyfriend."

Eddie laughed. "That was cheesy."

Richie scoffed. "Shut up!" he laughed. "I'm trying to show you my love and this is the thanks I get?"

Eddie shook his head, still laughing. "Don't worry, I missed you too." He kissed Richie one more time, before turning towards his bags.

"Now I gotta fucking unpack."