-58- Shut Up Richie

After a long and tiring school day in late August, there isn't much better to do than to plop yourself face-first into the clear, rocky water at the top of the kenduskeag stream. The Losers knew this better than most.

"Hurry up, you fucking sloths, I'm sweating my balls off here," Richie groaned dramatically, tugging off his backpack and dragging it along the grass at the head of their fleet.

"Shut up, Richie," Eddie shot back. "My bag is heavy! Some of us actually do the homework."

"Was that supposed to be an insult?" Richie mumbled, snorting a short laugh at his own quip.

"We're almost there, Rich, calm thy titties," Beverly sighed, having already dumped half her water bottle over Bill's head and proceeding to do the rest to herself.

"H-hey," Bill huffed, taking out his own bottle to spray in her face and licking some of the dripping water off his lips with a laugh.

"A-ha!" Richie yelled, finally hearing the rush of the little river and booking it to its bank. It wasn't deep, so the water was never freezing, but it was enough to bring your temperature back down to healthy on a hot day during a heat wave.

"Last one in is gay!" Richie yelled, pulling off his shirt and kicking off his shoes. The rest of the Losers scrambled to get their backpacks and shoes off and jump in—including Eddie, who had a little trouble with his fanny pack clip.

Richie hung back, shirt and shoes dangling from his fingers as the smile on his face died slowly, replaced by nervousness.

"It's me," he said, voice coming out stronger than he'd thought it would (thankfully). "I'm gay."

There was a long pause, in which the babbling river was the only one who spoke.

"Oh, you were serious?" Eddie asked, getting up and wading out of the water. "Pretend I didn't get in the water, then. We're both the last ones in."

Richie looked at him intensely then began to crack up, small giggles turning to loud, contagious cries of laughter. At one point, his knees felt so weak he had to sit down, shirt and shoes forgotten in a pile beside him as he desperately clutched his abdomen. The others could only watch, finding great humour in Richie's unexplained laughing fit.

Wheezing and trying to catch his breath, Richie calmed down and wiped the tears from his eyes. With a sigh, his laughter finally stopped and he looked up at Eddie.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly, biting his tongue to keep from laughing again. "I just... 'm very relieved. And also, Eddie, I think we already knew that," he finished, cracking up again at the last couple words.

Eddie rolled his eyes, laughing with him. "Get in the water, you fucking headass," he replied, kicking a laughing Richie towards the stream.

Finally taking some deep breaths, Richie calmed down. "Fine," he singsonged, and rolled down the side and into the stream.

"Well that happened," Ben said, laying back into the water.

"Wow! Didn't notice, thanks for telling me," Richie replied, voice dripping with fake sincerity.

"Shut up, Richie," Ben laughed.

"Yeah, shut up, Richie," Eddie agreed.

"Oh, come on," Richie huffed.

He got a splash in the face.

____

Hey y'all, it's been a while

this is short but I might make a pt. 2