-79- "Platonic" Love

It's late, and Eddie lays awake in his bed, the soft mattress hot under his back.

Eddie can often have trouble sleeping; his mind always reels with things that don't seem important to him until his head hits the pillow. Everything feels like it's life-or-death when you're lying in the dark staring up at your ceiling. Eddie knows all too well. Everything feels so much more real.

His insomnia has been worsening lately, and he can't help but think that it's thanks to him growing older. At fifteen, he's begun sophomore year and it's a lot of stress. Things keep him up at night, more even than before—assignments, drama, books, little gestures that somehow made him question everything—he can sit in bed for hours just rubbing his eyes and shifting every now and again.

And there is one single person who can do anything about it.

Not Eddie's own mother, but his best friend. His best friend who makes his heart swell every time he grins that stupid grin of his. His best friend who makes him laugh (even if he refuses to show it) at the dumbest things. His best friend who's emblazoned himself on Eddie's brain for good.

His best friend who is snoring lightly, right beside him.

Eddie listens. Just listens, to the way Richie breathes. It's so regular and his light, soft snores are so endearing. It sounds like home, like comfort... it's relaxing. Richie will never know it—not if Eddie has anything to say about it—but Eddie could and can listen to his soft snores for hours.

There's just something about it that makes sleeping beside Richie so incredibly easy. Odd, isn't it, to describe sleeping as easy, but when one can't do it on his own... easy sleep is a distant dream, impossible to reach. Richie makes it attainable. Easy.

The way Richie's deep breathing soothes and relaxes Eddie is a wonder of nature; the soft rocking of the bed as Richie shuffles around, rubbing his nose subconsciously; the warm arm that falls over Eddie's chest, instinctively pulling him close.

Eddie can finally slip with ease into a deep sleep, curled up tightly against Richie's chest, within Richie's arms.

He tumbles into a peaceful dream, a bright green field of budding flowers stretching out beyond his view. Behind him, without once having to look, he knows Richie is waiting for him inside the odd little cottage. It's almost eccentric, but not in Eddie's mind. It's perfect.

He doesn't even know he is dreaming, but Eddie hopes he never wakes up.

Indeed, Richie is his... "best friend".

——

on that note 😶 look around wherever you are and pick one random object. You know what it would feel like to lick it.

bonus: describe it in the comments.