10 years later |

Indigo's POV

"Baby girl you gotta hurry up before you miss the bus"  I signed to my now 10 year old daughter. Just like her father/grandfather she was the slowest thing in the mornings.

She threw her hands up in the air signaling her frustration. I laughed to myself and went downstairs to fix her, her favorite breakfast. Poptarts and bacon. I shook my head and laughed again. I remember when she first learn the technique of manipulation...

*FLASHBACK*

"Lala, what do you want for breakfast?"

I moved my lips and hands at the same time to make sure understood what I was trying to ask her. She's still new to the whole sign language thing.

She popped her bottom lip out and widen her already huge grey eyes and tried her hardest to tell me she wanted what she always asks for, poptarts and bacon. I shook my head no and she did what I feared the most. Her eyes turned stormy grey and tears started falling down her fat cheeks.

My heart started hurting and all I wanted to do, as a mother,  was stop her tears. Even if they were fake. So I did what all the books told me not to do, I grabbed my baby girl and pulled her into my arms. I don't give a damn if I was playing into her schemes, she's my baby girl and I love her more then life itself.

I starts rubbing her back and kissing her head full of curls

"Baby shhh, I'll get you some but smile for mommy"

I knew she had no idea that I even just said to her, but my hands were too busy so I jumped up and placed her on my hip. I opened up the cabinet and pulled the poptarts out and I saw that big smile that I love so much.

She wrapped her arms around my neck and pressed her face into my neck. I laughed and put the poptarts in the toaster and got the bacon out to complete her breakfast.

"You gone spoil that little girl rotten and then be crying when you realize what you've done when she acts like one of those white kids in the store on black Friday" I jumped and turned around to see my Uncle standing there. I smiled and looked down at Lala

"Her smile is worth it"

I heard clapping and turned around to see Lala standing there with a "duh" look on her face. When she saw that she had my attention she started using her language to communicate

"Momma, what are you doing? You looked lost"

I smiled and pulled her into my side and rubbed her head while using my other hand the best I could

"Just thinking about when you were in your Tantrum Threes baby"

She scrunched up her face and looked around

"Uh, what is that?" I laughed and signed "Nothing you need to worry about now go eat"

She did as told and sat down and ate while making beats on the table with her fingers.

Nyla has always loved music. I started her out in piano classes when she was 4 and she soon found a love for the Cello. Even thought most kids didn't understand that Nyla was deaf and would tease her, she stood strong and didn't give up. I swear I'm the proudest mom out there. I have never missed a recital, rehearsal, or anything else since she's started. I need my daughter to know that even though she has special needs, she can do anything she puts her mind to and that she'll always have her mother in her corner.

My phone started ringing on the the kitchen counter and I grabbed it without looking at who was calling

"Hello?"

"Girl, where the hell are you? I know it's your off day, but I for real need a drink and yo ass is slow playing!"

I laughed at my best friend Devin

"Boy, why you always rushing me? I'll be there to pick you up but first I gotta get your Goddaughter off to school, damn."

"Ohmygod! How's my lil diva? I haven't seen her since I got back from New Orleans"

"Well nigga maybe if you came by more often, you wouldn't of had to ask. But baby girl is doing fine, she has a recital coming up next Monday and we expect for yo little fruity ass to be there. And on time"

"Don't sit up there and try to play me. I'm no Queen B, I don't just wake up like this! And to answer your question, yes I'll be there! Gone be twerking to the piano music and everything!"

"Ew, don't bring yo ratchetness to my baby's recital. I'll fuck you up, but she's done with her breakfast so I'll see you in 30"

"Aiight,  love you bitch and tell my baby I love her long time!"

And with that the line went dead. Devin is a trip.

"Come on baby girl, put your plate up and get your backpack" I signed as I sat down in front of her so she knew what was going on.

She hoped up, put her plate away and met me at the door with her backpack on and ready to go. I laughed. Her love for school has always made me proud. I locked the door, pulled her into my side and walked to the car. Time to get my princess off to school.

| AT SCHOOL|

I pulled up to Heritage Hall, the private school that Lala attends and got her out the car. We walked into the building and to the third floor to get to her class. The only reason I keep Lala in this school, aside from the best education provided in Houston, was for Ms. Castillo. She's the best thing that's ever happened to Nyla, she knows American Sign Language like it was her first language. She helps baby girl feel more comfortable at school.

I lead Nyla into the classroom and she got situated. I walked over to Ms. Castillo, or as I call her, Anahi

"Hey Indi, how are you this morning?"

I laughed "I'm doing good, I just wanted to check on Miss. Thang's performance in the classroom."

She smiled and looked over at Nyla,

"You know she's doing good. She's coming out of her shell more and more."

I nodded and smiled on the inside. Finally she's becoming more of herself outside of the house.

"Thank God, but hey I have to get going. Thank you for your time!" We hugged and I kissed baby girls head and told her bye before I dipped my ass out of there before Devin's ass threw acid on me for being late.