Family

Messiah's POV

After leaving the brothel and checking up on the trap houses, I headed to grandma Jocelyn's house to pick up my princess.

I was in the middle of rappin Trinidad James verse in I Luv This Shit when my car started ringing. I sighed and looked at the display screen and saw that it was just my big sister Anahi calling. I pressed answer

"Messiah! Nigga, why haven't you been answering my damn calls? I wanna talk to my niece, matter of fact, where is she?"

I sighed again

"She's at her grandma's house. Why, whatcha needa talk to her about?"

"Lil boy check yourself before I do. I just wanna talk to my kido, damn. You know I haven't seen you or Kam in two years right?"

I stopped at the light and ran my hands down my face

"Yeah Anahi, look I'm sorry ma. Things have just been crazy since Peyton died two years ago. Things at work haven't necessarily been a walk in the park either."

I heard her breathe out sharply and some movement

"Look Messiah, why don't you and Kamryn come down down to Houston for two weeks at the most? I know your busy with work, but you got Dante who is capable of taking care of things. You sound stressed the hell out. Just come to relax your mind and get your head together. "

I stared at the road ahead of me and drove off when the light changed. This is why I love my sister. She knows me like the back of her hand. Shit, she better. She practically raised me.

I nodded my head like she could see me

"Nigga??"

I laughed and spoke up

"My bad ma, but yeah. It sounds like a good plan. I'll arrange everything and come down with Kam."

"Omg, thank Jesus! Thought you'd be all extra stubborn" I heard the smile in her voice.

I pulled up to grandma Jocelyn's house and leaned back against the seat.

"Stop smiling big head. Dorky ass but I'm here about to get Kam so I'll talk to you later aiight sis?"

"Yeah yeah, whatever. I'll call tonight to check in on my baby, and you better be serious about coming or I'll fuck you up. Don't play me."

I shook my head

"Man whatever, talk to you later, love you sis."

"Love you too dork"

I hung up and jumped out the car and jogged to the front porch. I knocked on the door and almost immediately my baby girl opened the door. I smiled hard and scooped her up into my arms.

I swear, without my daughter, I'd be a broken man.

"Daddy!! I have so much to tell you! Grandma is making oatmeal cookies and I got to be the tester!"

I laughed and kissed her forehead. No matter what this little girl talks about, she always says it with excitment and joy. Protecting her innocents is what matters the most to me.

"Is that right mamas? That's awesome, but don't forget you have still have to eat dinner so don't think you're getting out of that, now go and get your stuff so we can go."

She jumped down and ran upstairs. I walked into the kitchen to grandma still making cookies. I snuck up on her and hugged her from behind.

She screamed and turned around and hit me in my chest.

"Boy what I tell you about that mess!"

I laughed and rubbed my chest for a dramatic effect

"I didn't think hugs were something to be punished for"

She rolled her eyes and smiled "Messiah you're a mess."

I showed my smile "Yeah but you love me"

"Yeah because I can't get rid of you!"

I clutched my heart like I was hurt and bent my knees a little

"That's so hurtful! I thought I was loved here!"

She laughed and hit my arm.

"Boy get up and put these cookies away for baby girl"

I smiled and did as told. I looked up and seen her looking at me

"Wassup beautiful?"

She rolled her eyes and smiled sadly

"Nothing boy, just thinking."

I smiled and pulled her into a hug and reached into my back pocket and pulled out enough money to pay her rent, car note, go grocery shopping, and spoil herself. I refuse to let her work so I take care of her every need.

I put the money in her pocket and pulled away

"I got you don't worry. Thank you for everything grandma"

She looked up at me. Her being 5'3 and me being 6'4, she had to put her head back to do that.

"Messiah, you know I do this because I want to. You never asked me, so no, thank you"

I leaned against the counter

"Aye, look grandma all you do for Kam and I, I appreciate. When Peyton died two years ago...I was lost. I didn't know how to raise a little girl by myself. I didn't have a clue of what to do. You stepped in and took the place of Peyton. I miss your daughter so much, but I'm grateful that Kamryn has a woman to look up to."

She started with the tears again and I quickly wiped them away.

"Boy, get out of hear before you make my eyes red and puffy" She was laughing

I kissed her check, grabbed the cookies, let Kam say her bye's and hopped in the car.

All the way home Kam sang along to Problem by Ariana Grande and I couldn't help but feel at peace.