19 - 05/02/1969, WED

"Shut your eyes, come on Lillian it's a surprise for a reason!" Charles chuckles and she smiles with bewilderment.

"Why am I receiving a surprise today?"

"No questions or guesses, just follow the melodious sound of my voice," He says and reaches out to hold her hand. She laughs softly then smiles, stepping cautiously ahead with one hand out to alert herself of any objects in front of her.

"Alright Lily, you can open your eyes now."

As soon as she obeys his order, a chorus of shouts fill the entire room, yelling 'SURPRISE!'. She laughs when she finds a large group of people cheering and clapping their hands, surrounding a three-tiered cake in front of them on the table. It has three different coloured layers: chocolate on the bottom, vanilla in the middle, strawberry on the top. A layer of fondant covers the entirety of it, making it look delectable.

Lillian licked her lips then steps right to it. Charles wheels his chair closer to her side and smiles, "Happy birthday Lily."

"Thank you Charles, this is... so thoughtful of you," She says and reaches out to hold his hand but he changes the topic, quickly looking at everyone and telling Lillian to blow the candles.

Lillian eyes him then shrugs the thought off, following his suggestion and blowing out the candles scattered around the cake's top tier.

She can feel the applause drown out around her, while she smiles from ear to ear. Charles sneaks in to hold her hand under the table and she bites her lip slightly.

"Finish the cake quickly so we can have some time alone," A voice echoes in her mind and she glances Charles' way.

"Who wants some cake?" She asks loudly after isolating the voice she had just heard. Everton crowds around in a line, while Hank slices the desert-tower and Lillian passes around the plates of serving.

*****

He continues to stare at her in awe, making her feel conscious. She chuckles a bit, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing..." He smiles softly, "You're so pretty." Lillian leans closer to him and looks around quickly, "Shush, not here!"

"I don't-" He stops his sentence suddenly then frowns, looking at her hair, "Wait you've got something... um, should I help you get it out?"

She nods her head and he raised his hand to her ginger-shaded hair and picks put a frosting-covered piece of-

"What is it?" She asks and he throws it into his mouth, "EW CHARLES!"

"What? It was a fragment of your birthday cake," He answers and laughs.

"Oh then I guess-No but it was in my hair!"

"And your point being?"

Lillian rolls her eyes and contains her silence. She puts her plate on top of the coffee table in front of the couch she was sitting at then dusts her hands.

"Well it was your fault."

"Excuse me?"

"You could have stopped them but you joined in too!" She crossed her arms and he smiled smugly.

"I'm sorry love, it just looked enjoyable and you look extremely beautiful with cake and icing on your face," He reacts and she stuck her tongue out at him.

Charles and Lillian remain to sit in quiet for a few moments, watching the other students in the room converse and enjoy their dessert treat. Hank asks a student to walk around with a garbage bag so everyone could put their paper plates inside.

"Thank you Edward, I think I'll give you extra marks for participation," Charles says while throwing his plate into the bag and places a hand on the 8 year old's shoulder, making him smile widely. Lillian throws her plate too then smiles.

Another series of silent moments are shared between the two individuals then Charles sighs. "I hope you liked all this," He questions and Lillian hold his hand discreetly.

"Of course I did Charles, but you really didn't need to do it all," She replies and smiles.

"No no, I had to do this and I... I wanted to Lily," Charles shuts his eyes and sighs, "I haven't been there for you ever since school started, compared to before and I feel extremely bad about-"

She touches his hand then holds it tightly. "Stop that Charlie," She leans closet to him then looks into his eyes, "You've always been there for me and... I'm grateful for that, for everything."

Lillian stands up and runs a hand through his hair. "Life is... perfect right now," She says, "What could go wrong?"

Charles smiles shyly then fidgets with his hands, while watching Lillian walk off down the hallway. He clears his throat then steers his wheel chair towards-

"So did she enjoy the cake?"

The Professor turns to look to his left and finds Hank moving closer to him. "She did actually, it was exquisite," He says, "Thank you Hank for the help."

"Anytime Professor," Hank pauses talking for a moment then clenched his jaw, "S-So you and Lillian are... Yeah?"

Charles stares at him blankly, biting his lip then smiling. "Yes Hank," He mumbles and starts to wheel his chair.

"Wait so you guys have been... do you sleep..."

Charles laughs, slightly nervous, " No comment Hank, all I'll say is that creativity is key." He looks back to him then smiles consciously. Hank scratches his head then shrugs his shoulders and follows the Professor to his study.