34. Baby Steps

Adrienne's POV

-

"What do you mean you and Isabelle broke up?" I exclaimed as I pressed my hot cup of coffee onto the cafe table. I stared at my sister in shock, seeing how forlorn she looked as she casually looked outside in the evening light.

Once Alex returned from work today, she looked especially sad, so I was offered to bring her to our local Starbucks in order to cheer her up to an evening cup of coffee. It's been a few minutes since we sat down, but I didn't realize she was sad to this magnitude of a reason. Her and Isabelle have been dating for years, and it was unfortunate to see my sister heartbroken over this breakup, especially since it was her first serious relationship.

"I don't think either of our heads is in the right places now. We talked it out, decided it was for the best. It kinda sucks, but I think I'll feel better from now on," she trailed off as she sipped her latte, a little smudge of whipped cream on her lip before she licked it subtly off.

"I mean, I'm glad you're looking at this in a positive light, I just wasn't expecting it."

She shrugged, "I was. We've both been distant...and sleeping with other people, so I suppose it's for the best," she hesitated then continued, "I still love her though."

I stared at my sister for a long time, seeing that her golden eyes were cast down onto the table, as she tucked a strand of blonde hair behind her ear. "You were sleeping with someone else?" I piped up as I watched her cheek fade red.

Her eyes widened in surprise before she rolled them, "That's not the point, but anyway I'm getting bummed out. I don't wanna talk about it."

I raised an eyebrow as I looked down at my blackened drink, casually taking a sip from it as I made a mental note to pick on her later. "Okay then, sis. What do you want to talk about then?" I took my finger and swirled it around the rim of my cup, feeling the damp ridge against my finger as I stared off into a distance.

"How about you? Have you thought about what you want to do after you graduate?"

I mulled the question upon my lips for a second, thinking to myself whether I knew the answer to that or not. To be honest, I wasn't actually sure what I wanted to do when I graduated. Even though I would be graduating as class valedictorian, I knew I didn't want to go into some well-known college mostly because I wanted to stay in the area. If I were to admit my deepest secret, there was a certain part in my head that restrained myself from moving out of state because I haven't solved things with June.

I was still madly in love with the girl, and ever since the calculus incident, she's been undeniably teasing me with every chance she got. We were constantly talking, but we never hung out with each other outside of school. She always nabbed up the chance to make me sexually frustrated though. She would at least wear that skirt I always liked her to wear once a week, and she always grazed her hand on my thigh during class (Addison and Melanie became permanent seat buddies), and always made flirtatious comments to when she caught me openly staring at her beauty in class.

This girl was going to be the end of me.

I glanced at my phone, seeing that it was too late for me to take a green tea latte to go and drop it off at her house. I frowned, wishing I could do so, as every time I did it would produce a smile on her face and make her extra hyper and cute. With all the times I've been ordering the drink, our barista actually remembers it and isn't as angry when she makes it.

Or maybe she was happy that I always tipped her for it.

Either way, I felt like each time I gave June her favorite drink, it was a small way of saying I was still sorry for what I did to her. However, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to win her love back before she decided what to do after high school, therefore leaving me alone and regretting my actions for the rest of my life.