Chapter sixteen: Ashton

''There was something in the mailbox for you,'' inform Mr Hemmings when I climbed down the stairs after waking up on Wednesday. ''I left it on the island in the kitchen,'' he added before grabbing his stuff, ready to leave.

I nod and thanked him before walking over to the said place. I took the white envelope and read the writing. It was from my mum, I recognized her handwriting easily. I smiled and decided to make my breakfast first then I would read it. It's already seven forty-five and I am not dressed or ready for school.

I poured myself a bowl of cereal since it was quick and easy and sat on a bar-stool. Once I was done, I put my dishes in the sink and went in the living room, sitting comfortable on the couch to read my mother's letter.

Hello Sweetie,

If you didn't notice already, it's mummy. I wanted to tell you that we all miss you at home and all are waiting impatiently for you to come back in the UK. I hope you are having fun in Australia and that thing got better with the boy you are paired with. I also am writing this to inform you of somethings.. Things are not their best here, Ashy. I got a call last week from the bank and they told me that our financial situation was not good. I had already been informed of this a couple months ago but now, it's getting worse. I could have told you all this on the phone, maybe it would have been nicer but the line has been cut Monday afternoon. When I first opened the flower shop, I thought everything would get better and that I would never have financial problem again since I had my own business but I was wrong I guess.. On top of that, when I arrived at the flower shop last Friday, there was a paper stuck in the window, saying that if the bill was not paid the flower shop might be foreclose.. It pains me to tell you about this by sending you a letter but there is now other way of communication I can allow myself to use for the moment. I kept all this away from your siblings but I can't hide it from you. You are old enough to understand what's happening. Don't worry about us for the moment, we are okay and Harry and Lauren are doing good. I'll keep you updater - I'll try at least.

Take care, we all love you. I can't wait to see you, Mummy xx

''No..''

''What did you say?'' called Luke's voice from afar. There was a moment of silence and then I heard some footsteps coming from behind. ''Ashton?''

I ignored him and stared at nothing in particular. I can't believe what my mum just told me. She can't lose the flower shop, how well she be able to bay the apartment bills or even groceries? Why did I left them. I should've stayed home and not add my name on that list.

''Hey, you alright?'' he asked, sitting beside me on the couch. I shook my head, clutching the letter in my hands. ''What's wrong Ashton?''

''I-it's not me, it's my mum..'' I started. ''S-she send me this letter and-''

''Can I read it? Would that help me understand?''

I nod and gave him the paper. He reads it, his face making different expression as the words pass in front of his eyes. He turned to me after he set the letter on the coffee table in front of us.

''She'll be okay, Ashton, everything will go back to normal,'' he told me. ''It always does, I promise,'' he added, giving me a hug. I hide my face in the taller's neck, as I felt his strong arms wrapped around my back.

Having Luke 'taking care of me' was new. It always has been the opposite. He was always the one who needed comfort. I never understand how being held by someone was comforting in any ways. Oddly, I found his hug better than the one my mum gives me.. I better never tell her that.

''W-we should go to school,'' I said after a moment. I didn't want to pull away from his warm body but I have to. We can't go to school attached like this. Not to mention that I am still wearing my pajama and that Luke is shirtless with a wild case of bed head.