Chapter twenty-nine: Luke

''Good morning, Luke,'' greeted Veronica as I entered in the kitchen the next morning. She was wearing an lace pink robe over her thin night gown. Is she trying to make me sick first thing in the morning by wearing this? ''Did you sleep great?'' she asked. I ignored her, going over to the fridge to get something to drink. ''I see you're not a morning person,'' she chuckled. ''Are you hungry? What would you like for breakfast, Honey?''  

Is she trying to cross some boundaries this morning? 

''Don't call me that,'' I told her.

She stand next to the counter, looking at me. ''Why not? I'm a part of this family now.'' 

''No, you're not.'' 

She frowned. ''Why not? Your father and I are together, you're practically my son.'' 

At that I almost choke on my drink. What did she just say?

She patted my back as I coughed. ''Don't drink too fast, Honey.'' 

I pulled away from her touch. ''Don't touch me.''  

''I just wanted to help you-'' 

''Let's make things clear. Firstly, you're not my mother and will never be. Don't try to act as if you were because I won't ever call you 'mum'. Secondly, stay away from me. I don't want you here. I never did.''

After that, I grabbed my pack of cigarettes from my hoodie hanging on the wall and went outside to smoke.

When I entered inside, I notice Ashton was now up and making himself some toast at the kitchen counter. His back was facing me but I could clearly see his bed head and grey joggers hanging low on his hips. He was also wearing what I suspect being a tee shirt of mine. I hummed to myself, I like seeing this. I wanted to sneak behind him and surprise him by pinching his sides or something but with Veronica Cockblock in the room, it was impossible.

''Put some clothes on, you could catch a cold,'' she suggested when she saw me closing the door after I passed trough the doorway. I glared at her. I might only be wearing boxer and a band tee shirt but we're in Australia and it's summer. How could I catch a cold with this weather? 

 ''For the second time you are not my fucking mother,'' I repeated, trying to make it clearer than the first time. Will she understand one day or is she naturally stupid? 

''D-do you want some toast, Luke,'' I heard Ashton say, probably trying to change subject to make the room less tense. 

''Sure,'' I replied, sending him a small smile. ''Don't forget to put peanut butter on them.'' 

''But you just told me you weren't hungry when I asked you barely ten minutes ago,'' complained the woman. 

''Like you said, it was ten minutes ago, I changed my mind and am hungry now.''

''I won't try to poisen you if that's what you're affraid of.'' 

I snort and rolled my eyes. Me, affraid of her? As if. I should rather ask her the question.

She is so annoying. I hate her. 

  When I arrived at school, I say Mia, her back pressed against my locker, waiting for me. What is she doing here? I groaned interiorly. I tried to escape her but of course, she saw me in the hallway.. Damn.

''Luke!'' she greeted me as I approached the locker area, waving at me. 

I fake a smile. ''Hello, Mia.'' 

''What's up?'' she asked.

''Not much. You?'' I asked back. I wasn't interested but I have to fake it. Otherwise, she might starts some fake rumours about me and tell them to her gossipy friends. Why don't girls have other things to do?