Chapter twenty-three: Luke

What Ashton told me last night keeps echoing in my head. ''I don't want you to prevent yourself from seeing other girls. I don't want you to stop yourself from doing things because of me. If you keep declining these girls's offers they will get mad and it's not gonna have a nice end. I don't want to be the cause of this mess.'' I can't believe he said that. Does he really think all I want is sex? I hope not because that's not what I want from him. At some point maybe but not for the moment - well I wouldn't mind if he asked.. I want him to know that the other girls doesn't matter to me anymore. They still do but Ashton's my priority now. Passing a minute with his is better than a day with any of these girls and I want him to know that. But how?

''I wonder how you got your officer job since you can even find the person who stole my car and ruined it,'' I heard my father say over the phone in his office as I passed by on my way to the stairs to go to my room after I was back from Calum's.

I gulped as I heard him argue over the phone with the policeman. I can't heard everything clearly but from what I can make out, it doesn't seems good. Poor guy.. 

''Do you want me to call your boss and inform him of your incompetence? What I'm asking you is not that complicated! I just want to know who took my damn car,'' he yelled over the phone. ''Don't tell me you're doing your best to find the criminal because I can't believe you. I give you one more week to resolve the crime or I won't hesitate to call your boss or even ask for a process. I don't think the judge would be in your favor and I bet you could get fired in the end,'' he added. 

I walked away, not wanting to hear the rest of my father's conversation. This is why I don't want to tell him I'm the one who did it. I know it would be the right thing to do but my father has a violent temperament and I prefer not making him angry. Last time I did that didn't end great..

''Yet I am, wondering if my own son is actually the one who stole and broke my car,'' I heard him say after he hung up.

''Yes, I did. I am the one who crashed you fucking car. Happy now?'' I informed him, entering in his office without knocking. His head snapped up at my confession.

What are you thinking! yelled my subconscious. I mentally punched myself in the face for not thinking before speaking. 

''You ruined my expensive car!'' he exclaimed, hitting his fist on the table, making it tremble at the impact. ''I knew it was you but the police said it couldn't be you since you were my son and that you were going trough a hard loss. I knew you did it on purpose because of what I told you at the funeral dinner,'' he continued.

''I didn't purposely ruined your car and almost died because you insulted me. Are you mental?''

''Be polite with me or-''

''Or what? You're gonna hit me again?'' I asked in a provocative tone. 

His face grew red of anger and he slapped me across the face. After that, he left the house. 

''Hey Luke do you- What happen to your face,'' gasped Ashton when he saw me later that night. He sat on the edge of my bed next to me. He lifted his left hand, cradling my - what I supposed to be - bruised cheek in his palm. 

''It's nothing..'' I trailed off, pushing his hand off.

A worried frown crossed his face. ''No, it's not. It looks painful.'' 

''It doesn't hurt that much,'' I shrugged. 

He shook his head. ''Stop saying nonsense, Luke.'' 

''I listen to you and that's what happened,'' I  explained. ''I knew I should've keep it to myself.''

He knitted his eyebrow together, confused. He was about to ask for explanations but  ''Oh..'' he