Chapter twenty-five: Luke

''Oh oh o-o-oh, oh oh o-oh

Life's a tangled web

Of cell phone calls and hashtag I-don't-knows

And you you're so caught up

In all the blinking lights and dial tones

I admit I'm a bit of a victim in the worldwide system too

But I've found my sweet escape when I'm alone with you

Tune out the static sound of the city that never sleeps

Here in the moment on the dark side of the screen

I like the summer rain

I like the sounds you make

We put the world away

We get so disconnected

You are my getaway

You are my favorite place

We put the world away

Yeah we're so disconnected..'' 

''What were you playing?'' asked Ashton's raspy voice, pulling me out of my music bubble. I jumped from my seat, surprised, and put my guitar on the floor against the couch. 

''Morning, sleepy head,'' I greeted him and he groaned, hiding his face with both his hands. He ran a hand trough his hear, taking his bandana off at the same time as he tried to tame his curls. I smiled at him. ''You look okay,'' I assured him. 

''Saying compliments first thing in the morning.. what have you done to the old Luke Hemmings,'' he joked. 

''Haha,'' I sarcastically replied. 

''What were you playing?'' he repeated his previous question. He sat up on the couch, pulling the blanket tightly around his still naked body. ''I've never heard that song before, what is it?'' 

''If you'd told me you've heard it before, I would've been surprised since it's actually my latest composition,'' I replied. ''You like it?'' 

He nod. ''Yes. It's good.'' He rubbed his eyes, erasing the sleep from them and adjusting to the morning light. He pulled the blanket over his shoulder like a child and sat at the end of the couch, closer to me. ''C-can you play it again? For me?'' he asked with pleading eyes. Ugh, how can I say no to that.. 

I bite my lip and nod which made the boy smile large and bright. I picked up my guitar from the floor and started streaming the strings. ''It's not finish thought,'' I warned him. 

He rolled his eyes at me. ''Play,'' he insisted.

So I did. 

When I streamed the last string, I looked back up at Ashton and he happily clapped. ''Will you play this song for the Grand Finale?'' he asked. I shrugged. I haven't think about that yet. ''You should. It's a really good song,'' he explained. ''You could win with a song like this one. The lyrics are great, the music is fantastic, it's perfect.'' 

I shook my head. ''It's not. I have to do a lot of changes and finish writing the lyrics.''

''I'm not changing my mind. I like it.'' 

''Well, thank you then?'' I told him, not knowing what to tell him. I can't argue with him because we all know how often Ashton and I fight over dumb things. This morning - almost afternoon - has been perfect so far and I don,t want to ruin it. It's a rare thing. I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard Ashton's stomach roaring. ''You hungry?'' I asked him. He nod. ''Come on, I'm taking you out,'' I offered.