# 1, part one

March 10th, 2012, Chanhassen, Minnesota.

Emmeline Nelson sat in the Kingdom Hall alongside Prince and Larry Graham and pretended to be interested in the speech of the elder congregation. There were forty other people in the room besides them.

The girl was terribly bored. She hated these meetings, but she had to participate. Prince would get mad if she did not accompany him. Besides, he guessed that she was not devoted to Jehovah like she was once.

Emmeline focused eyes on her black slippers. She could not wait to get home and dress up. She wore a black dress above her knees and put on a white sweater over her shoulders. Dress for a good girl.

Emmeline laughed inwardly - this outfit is only a semblance. Long ago she renounced Jehovah and became an atheist.

She was not a good girl; it did not mean that she was going down on the wrong path. None of these things! She just wanted to live like her friends - do makeup, go to parties, do something crazy. She did it, but in secret.

Emmeline looked discreetly at Prince, who listened carefully to the speeches. He was overprotective. He controlled her as much as he could. Fortunately, thanks to her friend Rachel, Em had some freedom.

Prince guessed that Emmeline was looking at him because he looked at her. He pierced her with the gaze of his brown eyes and said quietly:

— You concentrate.

Emmeline rolled eyes, so Prince patted her hand. The girl pursed lips and began to think about the upcoming Saturday. Prince thought that she would spend the day at Rachel's house, but the truth was different. The girls were going to a small party to Dominique, Rachel's cousin.

Larry Graham, whom Em called uncle Larry, remarked that Prince had reprimanded his granddaughter. Graham frowned furiously, but Emmeline had it somewhere. She did not suffer this guy. He irritated her. It was through him that Prince became a religious freak.

When the meeting was over, Em, Prince and Larry waited until the other people left. Prince traditionally wanted to pass the check to the elder of congregation. When the faithful were leaving, several people greeted them with a nod. A woman put her hand on her breast and said:

— Brother Nelson, brother Graham.

Prince and Larry did the same; Emmeline crossed her arms and looked at the floor. Larry gave her a critical look and said:

— I do not like your attitude, Emmeline.

— What do you mean, uncle? — Asked the girl, to which Prince hissed in her ear:

— What is this tone, young lady?

Emmeline looked offended at her grandfather and said:

— I'm sorry, uncle. I wanted to ask what you meant.