#7, part five

When Emmeline ate ice cream, she was silent and looked at her cup

When Emmeline ate ice cream, she was silent and looked at her cup. Manuela looked at the girl with concern and asked:

— Emi, are you all right?

—Yes — Emmeline said. — I'm just tired.

—When you finish the ice cream — Manni began, but then Emmeline pushed back the ice-cream cup and said:

— Actually, I do not feel like it. I would like to go to sleep.

Manuela nodded and looked at India:

— Honey, be so nice and show Emi her room.

Honey, Emmeline felt like someone hit her in the stomach. She gritted her teeth and when India approached her, Emmeline got up and quickly retreated into the corridor. India frowned and looked at Mannia, who shook her head.

Emmeline leaned against the wall and crossed her arms. India came over to her and asked:

— Em, what's going on?

—Nothing. — Emmeline looked away and frowned. —Is not it late to tell Kirk to get the plane back and take me back to Minnesota?

I think it's too late — India said coolly. —Why are you like that?

—What?— Emmeline looked at India. —That suddenly I changed my mind and I want to go home?

— Your behavior is — India began. — Do not be offended, but stupid.

— Because I introduced confusion? — Emmeline snorted. — I do not hide, I wanted to come here, but only for Manni.

India was silent. She looked over her shoulder and sighed.

—Please — India said quietly. —You do not give her a reason to worry.. She is pregnant and ...

—And she must have peace — Emmeline snapped. —Like the whole fucking house.

— Stop it — India looked at her vehemently. — I know what you mean.

— Yes?— Emmeline raised her eyebrow. — Tell me, Miss Benet.

— Not here — India said.— Let's go to your room. We will talk.

Correction: a guest bedroom. Nothing in this house is mine.

India sighed and started up the stairs. Emmeline followed her, not turning around to look at Manuela and Doug.

***