#4, part five

September 17th, 2004, London, England

Prince liked to be charitable. A month earlier, Jerry Brown, a businessman and philanthropist, contacted him. Brown wanted to organize a concert at Wembley Stadium, the income from which was to be used to heal hospice patients. Brown wanted to persuade many American artists.

A few of them agreed to come for free. They were: Lionel Richie, Madonna, Diana Ross, Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson. Same famous names.

When Prince heard Jackson agreed to perform, he hesitated. He did not like Michael. Prince considered him a freak and a stiff one. In the 1980s, they had several creative and personal misconceptions. He did not want to perform on the same stage with Wacko Jacko.

 He did not want to perform on the same stage with Wacko Jacko

People are important, Mr. Nelson — Brown said. — People and their needs. Your participation in this concert is important. Your music reaches the hearts of many people. Me and the organizers of the concert want the hearts of the audience and not only to open to the suffering of sick residents.

And for the cash to flow, Prince thought ironically. If your words are sincere and you spend every pound for hospices, maybe you will get salvation after death. But if you take some of this money for your private needs, be damned, you greedy motherfucker.

—I have to think about it — Prince said in a telephone conversation. — My schedule has been quite tight lately.

—Good, Mr. Nelson — Jerry Brown sighed. — I'll be waiting for your call.

When Prince finished the conversation, he took a deep breath. His concert schedule was in second place, his thoughts were occupied by someone else. Emmeline.

If Prince decided to perform at a concert in England, he would leave for five days. He has been playing extensively for a year and in the last two months he has had little time for his granddaughter. Emmeline felt his absence and she kept asking him not to leave. For now, at least.

It was not that easy. Prince was obliged to contract and could not resign from appearances. Prince returned from the three-month tour two months ago, and then he had further commitments.