#13

— I can't believe it — Jolene Carradine was sitting in her living room, wearing an elegant black dress and smiling widely. — Prince, this famous Prince invited us to dinner.

—You don't get excited like that, mom — Cody crossed his arms. They both sat at the table and waited for Prince's driver Dave to arrive. Jolene frowned at her son's behavior.

—Why do you have such a negative attitude towards Mr. Nelson?— Jolene asked. — I know from Ben that you know his granddaughter.— Don't you like Emily?

Cody sighed. His mother knew nothing about his relationship with Emmeline or that he was in Paisley Park.

—Her name is Emmeline, mom— Cody explained. —Em is a sweet girl and we are good friends.

Jolene's eyes widened in surprise. She felt disappointed. She thought Prince had sent her flowers because he liked her as a woman. Jolene rejected the thought that it could be her silence about his aching hip.

These flowers. It was his "thank you" for my help. And let me not tell anyone about it.

Cody described Emmeline as a "good friend." But Jolene knew her son - probably he was enchanted by this girl.

—Is this Emmeline — Jolene began. —Do you like her as a young lady?

Cody almost released the guitar from his hands. He grabbed the guitar at the last moment. He looked at his mother blushing and stammered:

— What did you say?

I knew, Jolene thought. He's in love with Emmeline.

Suddenly Jolene felt mother's concern. Her son deserved the best. How could she think of Prince as a man when her son had a crush on his granddaughter? Jolene knew she had to support Cody.

— You like her — Jolene smiled broadly. —Not just as a friend. She must be a beautiful young lady.

—Mom — Cody blushed. —I don't want to talk about it.

— It's something natural — Jolene's smile grew wider. — I was young too. That's nice information, son.

—Do we have to go there?— Cody asked. —Prince will be sly.

For you, Mr. Nelson — Jolene looked sternly at her son. —Maybe it's his custom to invite his granddaughter's friends and their family to Paisley Park? That's nice of him.

—He's not nice — Cody said. —He's ... an arrogant asshole who loves control.

— Cody! — Jolene looked at her son in shock. — Your behavior is terrible! Why do you say that about Mr. Nelson?

—I know what it's like when you idealize your idol — Annoyed Cody stood up. —But the truth is, he didn't let Emmeline date with me. He invited me to Paisley Park and you know what? This man turned out to be a total buffoon. He literally threw me out of this white sanctuary!