Chapter 29

"Let's get you comfortable on the couch" Ally insisted as she held Sandra's hand tightly as the older woman slowly made her way into her living room.

Sitting down she gasped for air as Ally quickly changed her portable oxygen to her home oxygen machine.

"It's good to be home" Sandra hummed causing Ally to smile to herself as the prop the pillow behind Sandra.

"I'll make us some tea" she smiled as she began to walk towards the kitchen she felt a tight grip around her wrist.

"Thank you Alison..I really mean it...I couldn't have done this without you" Sandra said with such warmth in her voice it could almost have brought Ally to tears.

She wasn't used to Sandra being so vulnerable. The Sandra she knew was the bossy sarcastic old woman who she worked with her every day when she lived in London.

Now Sandra was skin and bone, still battling a nasty chest infection that could possibly kill her before the multiple tumours in her body did.

Ally needed to do this for Sandra, take care of her after years upon years of Sandra caring for others. It was her turn now to receive the best care possible and Ally was going to make sure she did.

"Oh stop it you old battle axe...I know you only want me here cause you fancy me" Ally teased as a grin formed on Sandra's face.

She needed Ally's humour to get her past the fact she wasn't going to be living in this world for much longer.

Ally flicked the kettle on and began sorting out Sandra's home supplies. Katie had pretty much organised everything herself from the hospital.

Making sure antibiotics were delivered to the house so Ally could give her home IV's and the morphine pump would be arriving by the pharmacy in the next hour.

Ally made a mental note to make sure and she thanked Katie properly later for all her hard work. They hadn't spent much time together since Sunday.

Ally had been spending her mornings helping out with whatever she could for Rach and Shel's wedding as they made their final preparations while spending her afternoons in the hospital with Sandra.

Ally hated the fact that Katie was working only two floors above Sandra's room but yet she couldn't see her. She knew Katie was busy this week with surgeries and getting Sandra home as soon as she could.

It was putting pressure on the Surgeon, they spoke as much as they could on the phone chatting and flirting. Ally didn't dare mention Jane's name. She knew Katie was still clearly in a relationship with her and Ally wasn't about to get involved.

It made her skin crawl the thought of Jane even talking to Katie, let alone whatever else the couple were doing.

Ally didn't even know what her and Katie were even doing, of course they had finally admitted they loved each other sure that meant something to Katie?

But what was actually going on between them. Ally was glad to be moving in with Sandra for a while to look after her. The last thing she wanted was to risk bumping into Jane in Rach's apartment or Rach finding out about her and Katie.

Ally's phoned buzzed as she checked the clock above the sink knowing it was now the afternoon it was most likely Katie after getting out of the last of her surgeries.

Afternoon beautiful!I hope Sandra is settling in ok!I'll be over with some Chinese at 5...I love you X

Ally grinned at her phone as she clutched it towards her chest, biting her lip she couldn't wait for the next 4 hours to hurry the fuck up so she could see Katie.