Chapter 4

Peeta's POV

I make myself comfortable in the white rocking chair and then pat my legs a couple of times.
"Come." I suggest to Katniss.

She walks over, cradling a sleeping Willow in her arms.
I hold onto her waist as she slowly and carefully sit down on my knees.
2 weeks in and Katniss still is sore.
She repositions herself and leans her head on my shoulder.

I start rubbing my hand in circles on her back and smile.
We give each other a kiss before tilting our heads to admire, once again, our daughter.

Seeing her in peace makes us feel at ease.
We want her to live a normal family life, not much Capitol interference. There will be times when the Capitol will mess it up but we will try to make it affect us, not her.

I soon run my hand around Katniss' waist to place my hand on top of hers.

"You still look beautiful." I whisper into Katniss' ear.

Katniss tilts her head up and her eyes look into mine. I notice the slight dark circles under her eyes and can tell she's been having trouble.

"Katniss, if you need to rest anytime during the day please go ahead and sleep."

"But Peeta -" She starts to retort but I interrupt her.

"Please." I plead. "For me." I add.

She sighs and nods. "Okay." She answers and I stroke her right cheek with my thumb.

She rests her head back on my shoulder and closes her eyes.
I continue to stroke her hair and temple, to relax her.

I lean part of my head on Katniss'. I check on Willow before closing my eyes.
Even with my vision just black, I can hear the slight creaking of this chair as I slowly rock it with my foot.

I feel Katniss snuggle her head deeper into the crook of my neck and I smile.
My rough finger continues to stroke against Katniss' smooth skin and it begins to soothe me as well.

Soon, I hear the familiar slow breathing of my wife, signalling the she has found sleep.
Minutes later I hear footsteps come towards us. I open my eyes to see Adriana. She points at Willow and I nod.

Adriana carefully removes Katniss' grip from our daughter and places Willow into her arms.

Adriana carries her as she manoeuvres Willow's small cot closer towards us.
Once she places it in the necessary spot, she bends down to place Willow in.

Adriana straightens up and faces me with a smile. She points at us asking silently for a blanket, and I carefully shake my head.
Adriana nods and leaves the quiet room.

I close my eyes as she leaves and I place Katniss more in my embrace.

Soon enough I'm plunged into sleep.