Chapter 35

Peeta's POV

I sit by Katniss on the bed and stroke her arm. "It's nearly time sweetie." Katniss nods and grasps onto my hand as another contraction adds to the many she has had in the last 13 hours.

She scrunches her eyes shut tight and wails in pain. I frown and kiss her clutched hand. She sighs and all her muscles relax when the pain is over.

"Sit behind me please." Katniss demands and I don't object. I help Katniss sit up without causing searing pain for her.

I stroke her back and I crawl into the gap behind her and lean my back against the pillow protected headboard. I spread my legs out and Katniss carefully leans back into my chest.

She sighs again and looks up to me. I sadly smile, which she returns and I hold both her hands. She rests our entwined hands on my now bent up knees.

"You are doing so well Katniss. I didn't know you had it in you." I comment.

"SHUT UP PEETA." Katniss shouts, another mood swing occurring. I stay quiet for the next few minutes before she starts coughing. I quickly sit her up and lean her forward. I kiss the back of her neck when it stops and Katniss starts shaking.

"P-Peeta." She stutters.

"It's okay. I'm here." I reassure and Katniss then leans back on my chest. She then rests her head in the crook of my neck. Katniss tightens her grip on our entwine hands as Adriana checks how long she has left.

"Let's start pushing now Katniss." Adriana says and goes to the the end of the bed. Katniss starts screaming and she leans forward quickly. My son is minutes away. Katniss muscles then suddenly relax and Katniss pauses for a break. Adriana passes me a wet and cold cloth and I brush it against Katniss' sweaty skin.

"Thank you Peeta." She thanks and I smile. I stop when her next contraction comes and Katniss pushes her back into my chest. I don't mind at all, if Katniss needs too she needs too.

Katniss does a combination of wailing and screaming as she pushes. "You're nearly halfway though Katniss."

"Ugh!" Katniss exclaims and starts crying. "I'm so sore!" She complains. I stroke her messed up hair. Katniss wails as the pushing begins again.

"THIS BABY IS HUGE!" Katniss shouts. I look at Adriana and we get the connection. She's having trouble. "WE AREN'T HAVING ANY MORE KIDS PEETA!"

"I understand." I reply. "Let's get the baby out together shall we?" I suggest and Katniss nods. "Okay, you will push your hardest for 10 seconds and then you will copy my breathing okay?"

"Okay Peeta." She answers and she gets ready to push again. Moaning begins and I prepare myself to count.

Wails come shortly afterwards. "1....2....3....4...5...6...7...8...9..10!" I count slowly and when 10 escapes my lips, Katniss leans back on me and follows my breathing.

Katniss shrieks. "Peeta! Peeta!"

"Katniss, it's okay. You've just got the legs to go. One more push." Adriana exclaims and my heart begins racing.

Katniss hands leave mine and she grips onto her knees. "I can't do anymore." Katniss says and my hands slowly sit ontop of Katniss'. I lean my head forward and place my mouth against her ear. Youre doing so well. Just one more."

"Together?" Katniss chokes out.

"Together Kat." Katniss sits up again and Katniss endures on her last ever push. "1...2...3..4...5..-" Before I could even say 6, my son enters the world.

Katniss gasps and we both slowly lean back and Adriana places him on Katniss chest. Our son starts squealing and I glance to the window and see the orange sky.

"Born at sunrise." I comment and Katniss nods. I kiss her cheek and hug my wife and new son.

"No wonder why he was so hard to push out! He's so chubby!" Katniss comments and I chuckle.

"It makes him cute though." Katniss adds and I kiss her cheek again.

I'm a father again.