Chapter 30

Peeta's POV

My heart starts thump 100 miles a minute as the eagerness increases. Seconds lower to the reveal of the baby's gender.
Deep down I hope it's a girl. That would be amazing.

"The baby is healthy." Adriana states and Katniss, Willow and I sigh in frustration. Adriana chuckles. "I did that on purpose."

"Awww, tell us if I will have a baby brother or sister!" Willow demands, getting impatient.

"Willow. Say please." I instruct and stroke her hair once.

"Please?" Willow asks and Adriana smiles. She looks at the screen.

"Oh!" Adriana says and leans closer to the small screen.

"What? What's wrong?" Katniss asks in fear.

"I thought it was a girl but it isn't..." Adriana comments. Oh well. I kiss Katniss' hand and stroke her fingers with my thumb.
"It's a boy!" Adriana exclaims.

Katniss and I gasp and look at each other. A second later the tears flow from her eyes. A smile on her face. I hold Willow and stand her up on the floor before standing up myself. I smile at my wife and let tears flow.

This makes Katniss' sobs louder and she reaches her arms up to hug me. I bend down and let her arms wrap around my neck.

"It's a boy Kat." I say and Katniss nods. Behind us Adriana explains to Willow what is on the screen but I ignore it.

I kiss Katniss' nose to help her calm down but I start quietly sobbing. I close my eyes and smile wider. I'm getting a son. A boy to carry on the Mellark family name. I easily stop my sobbing but Katniss takes a while.

I release her from my embrace and stand up straight. I let Katniss get the realisation in and I turn to Willow. I notice Adriana is not in.

"You're having a baby brother Willow." I explain and Willow nods with a wide smile. I pick her up and hug her. I turn to see Katniss sitting up and slightly sobbing.

"Hey. I love you so much Kat." I murmur into Katniss' ear and she chuckles.

"We're having a boy Peeta. I'm carrying a boy!" Katniss exclaims and we share a passionate kiss.
When we break away, my hand immediately goes to Katniss' slightly sticky bump.
Instantly I feel the light kicks of my son. I smile and look to Willow, sitting on my side.

"Willow, place your hand on Mummy's tummy." Willow follows instructions and gasps when our boy kicks.

"That's my baby brother!" Willow exclaims and Katniss' hand goes to rest on top of mine.

I look into her eyes. "Love you." I whisper but I know that Katniss caught it as she smiles again.