Chapter 36

Katniss' POV

"Hello!" I quietly exclaim as I admire my new son, regaining my lost breath.

He keeps moving his arms and legs around and screams. Adriana rushes over and places a towel over his blood covered body.
My hands move to be on the towel and I tilt my head back and look up to see Peeta's eyes gathering up tears.

I smile and lean my head to rest again Peeta's neck. My chest heavily rises and falls.

"A very cute baby boy you have here Katniss and Peeta." Adriana comments and I tiredly smile.

I've been awake for 25 hours. I close my eyes and smile wider. He's finally here after 14 hours.

It takes a very short time before I hear Peeta's sobs in my ear. "Peeta." I murmur opening my eyes and nudging his neck gently.

His left hand slips up my arm and he clutches my arm. I look back towards my son.

He's beautiful, even with this blood all over him. My left hand slowly moves up from his back to his head. I stroke his small head with my fingers but eventually this make him kick and scream more.

"Sweetie, it's okay. It's okay. Ssshhh." I comfort, referring to both Peeta and my son. My sons screams become more high pitched and I fearfully look up at Adriana.

"Is he okay?" I ask.

"Yeah. Just be careful with the voice volume and how you're holding him." The comment makes me check if I'm holding him right, which I am.

"I'm just going to quickly get some stuff from my house. I might have to call a hovercraft to take you to hospital." I nod and she exits.

"Peeta, what's this chubby guy's name?" I ask and Peeta stops his sobs. He looks up and thinks before replying.

"Rye." Once I hear his name I smile.

"How about Rye Zachary? Zachary as a middle name?" I suggest.

"Zachary makes a cute ring to it. Remember he's your son as well." Peeta answers and I nod.

"Rye Zachary Mellark." I say and I let it sink in.
"Welcome to the world Rye." I comment and Rye's screaming stop and his kicking lessens.

Rye opens his squished eyes to reveal grey orbs, my trait. "Peeta look!" I quietly exclaim.

"Yeah. An exact copy of your beautiful eyes." he says. We share a quick passionate kiss.

"You hold him." I suggest to Peeta.

"I can't sweetie. I'm right behind you." Peeta replies and I silently sigh.

"No, you can hold him on my chest." I retort and Peeta's hands slide carefully to where mine are. I carefully remove mine and instantly Peeta replaces mine with his.

I smile as his newborn fathering instincts have kicked in once again.

I lean my head against his neck and close my eyes, slowly pulled finally into a short sleep.