Chapter 27

Peeta's POV

We stand at the same spot waiting for Willow with the afternoon sun beaming on our scarred skin.

People around us glance at us, none ask questions. People here respect our privacy, ever since Willow entered the world over 5 years ago.

My hand strokes Katniss' hip and her hand lies on mine as we wait for the bell to ring.
I get a good chance to look around. It's different from when Katniss and I were here in our early years. Before all the misery.

The high pitched bell rings and Katniss and I look at each other relieved. We've been emotional today as our house didn't have a lively Willow running around.

I brush her nose with mine and she chuckles with a smile. Our heads turn to the school building as the wide doors open and kids start flooding out and make their way to their parents.
It takes a while before we spot Willow. She catches our eyes and Katniss and I wave, to make sure she sees us.

Willow makes her way slowly down the stairs, knowing she will be eager to see us.

"Love you." I murmur and my arms slips away from Katniss' back.

"Love you too." Katniss replies and I see Willow running towards us.

I bend down to her height and extend my arms out for a hug. Willow shows a wide smile and extends her arms slightly.
Willow slams into my chest and I wrap my arms around her.

I stand up with her in my arms. "Hey baby!" I exclaim and place her sitting on my waist. Oh how I missed her and it was only 5 hours!

"Hello Daddy!" She replies, kissing my cheek. She leans over and wraps her arms around Katniss' neck in a hug.

"Hello Will." Katniss greets, kissing her cheek.

"How was your first day at school?" I ask Willow when she finishes the hug with Katniss.

"It was so fun. I have a funny teacher. I made 3 friends called Molly, Jennifer and Ryan (See what I did there?!) and IT WAS THE BEST DAY EVER!!" Willow says so fast and happily. Katniss and I could just make out what she said.

"That sounds good doesn't it Mum?" I ask Katniss and she nods.

We turn and head, once again, towards the entrance and Willow chats away about her day like she only has 2 minutes to explain it.

Katniss wraps her arm around mine and we smile as we listen to our precious 5 year old talk.
Telling us about the new journey she's embarked on.