Chapter 57

Last ever Peeta's POV for this series!

Peeta's POV

Another sunny day, no cloud in sight. The breeze hitting us like feathers. Smiling is the only thing I could do.

Her touch still bringing sparks to my fingers. Our old age not stopping us,

"I remember the day I first showed you that swing." I state as Katniss and I gaze upon the single swing hanging from the Willow tree.

"That was the day you proposed to me." Katniss says with a wider smile. The air becomes silent and so do we. Until the voice I love to hear speaks up.

"Are you, are you coming to the tree? Where they strung up a man they say who murdered three.
Strange things did happen here no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree.

Are you, are you coming to the tree? Where a dead man called out for his love to flee. Strange things did happen here no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree.

Are you, are you coming to the tree? Where I told you to run, so we'd both be free. Strange things did happen here no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree.

Are you, are you coming to the tree? Wear a necklace of hope, side by side with me. Strange things did happen here no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree."

I bury my neck softly into the crook of her neck as her voice dances into my ears. I smile and close my eyes. She starts to sing her other song she even sung to me if I had a nightmare occur. I would hear this so much, since she also sung the lyrics to both Willow and Rye.

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow a bed of grass, a soft green pillow. Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes and when again they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe, here it's warm here the daisies guard you from every harm. Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you. "

I start singing along with her and nearby mockingjay's picked up the tune.

"Deep in the meadow, hidden far away a cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray forget your woes and let your troubles lay and when again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Here it's safe, here it's warm here the daisies guard you from every harm. Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you."

"You know I love hearing you sing." I murmur as my hands travel up her waist and chest to grasp onto her shoulders.

"I know. I love singing to you." Katniss replies and I kiss her neck. Katniss turns her head to kiss mine and we stay seated, loving each other to the very detail.

Katniss Mellark. My wife. Lover of mine since we were both 5.

One day I tossed her a burnt loaf of bread. That rose my hopes of her ever being mine. The day I dreaded came at 16. Even though I was reaped for the games, I would be spending the rest of my possible life with Katniss. Even though our love was an act, I loved every second of it where I spent time with her. Winning our games was such a relief, we both survived. We got closer. Nursing her back to health after injuring her foot was special. We finally were able to do something normal. Getting reaped again into the quell was much worse as I knew, one of us was to leave the other. I prepared to die so Katniss could live. The kiss that brought it all together was our first and proper kiss. I would treasure until the hijacking. Separation first was torture but how I was getting transformed into the mutt I could just see was just heartbreaking in Katniss' eyes. Being able to grow back with her, is such a privilege. I thought she would block me out, after what I had done to her.

But we managed the darkest of times together. We got married, had our wonderful two children and put the pieces back together. Our strength and past gave our children courage and bravery to succeed. I am sure that what they learnt will be passed onto our grandchildren.

I'm privileged to call Katniss my wife. My partner since 16. My eternal partner, I'll die being in love with her.

Katniss Mellark is my hope and I am happy she has stuck by with me and loved me since we started again at square one after the war.

I can't think of anyone else I would have wanted to live my past and future with.

2 MORE PARTS TO GO!!