CHAPTER 7: STEP ONE

Deadlock was ready for the heist.

Except for one thing...

He needed the mini-cons. So now all he has to do is call upon enough courage to convince his mentor to bring them along. However the likelihood of him accepting was very low.

Deadlock approached Shadow Raker with his back turned and just before he opened his mouth to speak his mentor opened the conversation.

"Ah, Deadlock. Good to see you. I trust that the mini-cons are locked away?" he asked.

"Indeed, Shadow Raker. However I do not know how much help they would be to you there when they could do so much more out here," he paused. "Or on the heist."

His mentor raised an eyebrow. "Such as?"

What was he saying? Deadlock couldn't believe that he had just opened a debate with his master. What would happen if he lost? Maybe he would get punnished as well? He couldn't turn back time, so he continued.

"Their size may be useful as their digits may be able to open locks, it would give us more numbers, and they could carry the loot."

Shadow Raker turned around and faced his pupil, he had a smile on his faceplate. "Very well, Deadlock. Collect the mini-cons in two hours and we will leave at the darkest hour."

Deadlock's optics widened. For once his leader had agreed with him that something to do with the mini-cons was a good idea. 

Step one complete... well almost...

~~~~

Deadlock ran over to the mini-cons room and unlocked the door. When it opened all he saw was Jetstorm and Slipstream staring out the window. They hadn't heard the door open as they were deep in conversation.

"What do think other planets are like?" Jetstorm asked with wonder.

Deadlock kept quiet and observed.

"I do not know for sure. But I have heard that some planets are made only of water or ice. Some are even made covered in trees," Slipstream replied.

"Trees?"

"They are things that grow out of the ground and release oxygen for those who require it to breath."

Deadlock heard what they were saying. It was true. They wanted to leave.

Shadow Raker was waiting for them so as much as he wanted to continue listening to their discussion, he had to bring them down to him.

He cleared his throat. The mini-cons turned around and stared at the ground in embarrassment.

"D-Deadlock, um... hello," Jetstorm greeted with an awkward smile.

"Did you do it?" Slipstream asked with urgency. "Did you convince the Master to take us on the heist?"

"I did. In fact he is waiting for us now." The mini-cons approached him as he crouched down. "Say goodbye to this base because I promise we will never return against our will."

They both smiled at each other and then at Deadlock. The Con could feel their happiness as could he see it on their bright faceplates. Nothing was going to stop him from leaving.

And no matter what...

He wasn't leaving alone.