Chapter 23

The silence was long and antagonizing. He didn't let up and just stood there, waiting for you to speak. "I-i, uuummm, I" was all that you said. He was about to question you further, but that's when the lunch bell rang. He had no choice but to leave with the inmates, as he was the supervisor. As he reluctantly walked away, Upa, Liang, and Qi, who had just awoken from his nap, waited for you to come, too. They stared at to expectantly. You had a choice to make. Either go with them and get asked a million and one questions (some of which you couldn't/ wouldn't answer), or you could go see Enki for what may be the last time in a while. You stood there, torn. They had worried so much. You put them through so much. It was your fault. You began to feel the weight of guilt settle in on your shoulders. "You guys go without me, I have to go back to Okina to see about some stuff" A complete lie. While they did look disappointed, they nodded and mumbled some 'okay's' and went into the hall, shutting the doors behind them. You then remembered that you don't have the keys anymore. You face-palm as you think of where they could be. Your bag. The first place you thought to look was Samon's office. That's were it always would end up after you lost it. You quietly (as quietly as you could with the cane) made your way to his office. Every noise made you jump as you knew that you weren't supposed to be doing this. You were almost there. His door was in sight. Then, someone called your name. "Miss (l/n)" you jumped, trying to act natural. The guard walked up to you and handed you a letter. He waited to be dismissed. "Thank you" you nodded. He walked away. The letter was in a familiar white envelope with gold outlines, stamped shut with familiar "L" in a fancy font. Knowing who it was from, you smiled. You decided to read it later, as this was more important. You needed your bag. The info you got from Samon about Enki was still in there. Hopefully. Your blood ran cold as you found yet another possibility of getting found out. 'What if he found out that the Warden hadn't requested that stuff about Enki?' This thought only made you limp faster. You tried the doorknob. Thankfully, it was unlocked. You opened the door, quickly walking in. You stood in the middle of the room, looking around for the familiar bag. You spotted it in the corner of the room and almost ran to get it. You yanked it off of the floor. Relief flooded through you as you heard the muffled jingle of the keys in there. You then rooted through it, smiling at the sight of the tablet. Flipping through it, you were happy to find that the book seemed to have remained un-touched, as did everything else. Placing the letter you had just received, you looked to where you found the bag and saw your boots. You grabbed them too, planning on getting back into full uniform in a few days. You wrote a quick note to Samon thanking him for keeping your stuff safe and saying that you had to go home. Doctors orders. Another lie. You left the room, choosing to ditch the cane. It didn't hurt that bad anyways. You walked with a slight limp as you made for the exit. Your racing heart slowed down as you walked out. Your car was parked in the same spot. You dug through the bag again, finding your keys. You opened the door and climbed in, slamming it shut behind you. Pushing the key into the ignition, you started the car. You drove off. The whole car ride, you forced the thoughts to stop so you could have a moment of silence. You got home quickly. You walked into a surprisingly clean home. On the counter was a note that read "your welcome" It was signed by Samon. You chuckled. Of course he would do something like this. Standing there, you were suddenly aware of yourself. You felt the dull ache of several bruises. The weird strain of stitches. You also became aware of the fact that you were in need of a bath. You walked (limped) to the bathroom, drawing yourself a luke-warm bath. (actually just warm this time) After getting a set of loose-fitting clothes, you stripped off the gown you were wearing. You gingerly lowered yourself into the bath, wincing a couple times. It stung a little, but you stayed in. After carefully washing yourself, the water was to your chest. Sighing, you sunk lower into the bath, ignoring your body's protest. You told yourself that you would go over both the stuff you had gotten from Samon about Enki and the letter... once you got out...

Sorry for the shorter than usual chapter. I've actually been thinking about shortening the chapters so I can update more often during the week. Usually, they're about 1,200 words. I would make them about 800-900.(like this one is)  Anyways, I hope that you enjoyed this chapter. The next one should be out by either 5/1/19, 5/2/19, or 5/3/19. So YEET.