10- Getting Closer

"Friendship has to be like bacon and eggs. They have to go well together."

[Tzuyu's POV]

Time after time, I feel like falling. It felt as if all oxygen had been deprived from my body. I was running but my legs were paralyzed. I couldn't feel a thing. I couldn't see a thing. Only darkness swarmed me. I couldn't see anything in front or behind me. I was scared.

"Tzuyu, If you thought that 'escape' was the best option, then you're out of options," said an unfamiliar voice.

The voice came from afar, but felt so close. It felt as if I had every power and strength of mine taken away from me. It felt as if I was weak and craving for energy. But this wasn't an unfamiliar feeling.

"Tzuyu?!" said the voice, getting closer and closer, but this time it felt as if I was gaining some familiarity.

"Tzuyu?!"

I suddenly opened my eyes, fluttering them from the light that was peeking in through the windows. Sana was peeking over me while I was still in bed surrounded by my books that I had brought from Taiwan.

"What's this?" asked Sana, grabbing one of my books from beside me and checking out the front cover. Once she looked at the summary at the back, I got to see what book she picked up.

"That's The Lost Boy by Yang Pai-Han. It's one of my favorites by far."

Sana nodded her head approvingly, "what's it about?"

I pushed myself against the headboard, still remembering the very moment that I received the book. I had gotten it at a book fair from middle school after my grandmother had given me a few dollars to spend. It was only a few of my memories of her that remained.

"It's about a boy from Taipei who lives with his older sister after their parents' death. To sum it all up, the boy travels the world after getting into an argument with his sister. He winds up meeting his best friend, a girl from Indonesia, who also is fleeing from her parents. I haven't finished it yet..." I said, while retrieving the book from Sana.

Sana flashed me a wide smile, while slinging her arm over my shoulder. "Your Korean is getting better. It's ironic that it comes from a foreigner herself," she said, referring to herself.

I was, wasn't I? These last few social upbringings have been testing my Korean skills. Although these past few days have been a migraine, at least I'm learning more about South Korean culture.

"Which reminds me; Nayeon unnie and I are on our way out. This is your opportunity to get close with Mina!"

I don't know if I was mentally or physically capable of waltzing up to Mina, asking if she wanted to be my friend. She often made me wonder if she was this way with all the other girls before, or is it just me? Either way, I don't think I was ready to face another possible dilemma.

"Where is Dahyun? Did she leave already?" I asked, a bit curious to if Dahyun would be here for this encounter.

"She left this morning to go visit her parents. She'll be back soon, but at the moment, you should really try to talk with Mina. I think it'll do you both good." I watched Sana grabbed my hand in hers, letting out a small sigh. She was a bit hesitant before speaking, but she finally looked up at me with hopeful eyes. "It'll be best for you to have as much friends here as possible. I know it can be hard being a foreigner, especially when you have no one. But...you have us now!"