25

' You sure you're up for it?' Jughead asked Toni, wiping the engine grease off his face.

' I'm sure. Besides, I don't trust the Serpents with anything that's more than 2 wheels.'

' Then you better have the best car possible.' Betty Cooper replied, laying on her back, head under the car in the garage.

' You can trust Betty. She won't tell anyone.' Jughead had said to Toni earlier when he told her that Betty knew she was going to participate in the drag race.

In fact, she insisted that Toni have her car fixed up by her.

It was a grey blue Plymouth Hemi Cuda Toni had inherited from her grandfather.

She never brings it around because it was a family heirloom of sort, but the occasion had called for it.

The Serpents were great on motorcycles but with cars?

They're the ones going 140 on a normal day.

And the race tomorrow wasn't all about speed.

It's more thinking, and handling and control.

Toni loves the serpents with all her heart, but she also know their short-temper won't get them very far in this competition.

That was why she volunteered in the first place.

Now that Betty and Jughead were dating, they seem to want to find any kind of reason to hang out together.

And hence, their little workshop session for Toni's car.

Seeing them like that, Toni ached for something between her and Cheryl.

Toni thought that now that they knew that they liked each other, things would be different and not be awkward.

It was the opposite.

It was as if confessing their crushes to each other had opened up the possibility of doing things more intimate.

Holding hands before was casual, they don't think too much about it.

Now, even the slightest skin contact could make them flush with red.

Toni had made up her mind.

No matter what the outcome will be, she was going to talk things out with Cheryl tomorrow, after the race.

She felt bad rejecting Reggie, but if she didn't, this would feel like cheating.

And she doesn't do that.

Rejecting him was the softest blow he could receive from her.

She knew he was upset that day, but she meant what she had said.

[ 14 hours later]

The day of the drag race

The sun sprinkled its rays through the forests, the trees and the land that was now filled up with cars of various models - sports, muscle, etc and people of various cliques - Ghoulies, Serpents, North Siders.

It was a hot day in Riverdale.

But that was the least of their problems.

It wouldn't be surprising if every other hang out in town was deserted because Toni was sure almost the whole of their school was here.

Word got out but somehow didn't get out into adults, which Toni found impressive.

She's never seen this much unison in her life.