35

' Cheryl? ' Toni asked, because she had nothing else to say.

' My dad's hiding something.' Cheryl blurted out.

She had her arms crossed and her eyes looked like she had been crying.

' What happened?' Toni said as she showed the way into the trailer and followed after.

' My dad. He. I. I heard them talking. About Jughead's father. About Jason. I don't know. But he's hiding something.'

' Okay. Let's calm down first. One step at a time, alright?'

So Cheryl explained everything, from Jason's plan to escape with Polly, her father's framing FP, to her slapping him. It was all very overwhelming and somehow she was nervous and her heart was beating so fast it hurt.

Toni just listened the whole time, not even interrupting to ask even though she was dying to.

After a while, she laid back on the sofa, sighing.

' Cheryl, you shouldn't be here. It's not safe out here.'

' I'll leave but I need to know something.' Cheryl spoke very quietly.

' What?'

' Did you know anything about it? About Jason? About my father?'

Toni was quiet for a moment.

Of course she was going to ask her that. A fair assessment on her part.

Cheryl would have to be stupid not to.

' Apart from what you just told me, no.' Her tone a little more firm than she intended.

' Okay. Good' Cheryl replied shakily.

' You need to leave, Cheryl it's not safe-'

' I wanna join the serpents.' She said finally.

Toni froze in place.

The door to the trailer banged opened and Toni got up in defense.

It was Sweetpea and Jughead.

' What's going on?' Sweetpea asked.

' Uhh..' Toni trailed.

' You guys need to know something.'

To her surprise, Cheryl got up and walked towards the boys.

' We'll talk, but we need to get out of here now. We've got company.'

Toni didn't have time to ask as shots from outside of the trailer rang out, making the four of them get down.

' It's the ghoulies, those guys just don't know when to quit!' Sweetpea said, covering his ears.

Toni suddenly had an idea.

' How many of them?' She asked Jughead.

' I don't know! I'm a little busy trying to stay alive.'

She looked at Sweetpea, then at Cheryl who looked back, and then back at Sweetpea/

' You take Cheryl to her car and leave with her. I'll text you. Text me if anything.' She shouted over the sound of breaking windows and wood walls.

Sweetpea nodded and grabbed a protesting Cheryl by the arm and made way out of the trailer carefully.

' The ghoulies know something we don't.' She said to Jughead, who's been staring at her in question.

' About what?'

' About Jason Blossom and then there's some sketchy stuff going on with his father too.'

' We can't just ask them politely now can we?'