26

Reggie saw everything.

He now understood everything.

Yet he still chooses not to believe it.

He was sitting on the hood on his car, Kevin Keller, Veronica Lodge and a few others surrounded near him. 

Betty Cooper dragged Jughead Jones away to god knows where when his gaze shifted to a Plymouth Hemi Cuda.

Toni was sitting on it, flirting with Cheryl Blossom and she was flirting back.

Cheryl freakin' Blossom. 

That was when things started to make sense.

How can he compete with someone like that?

He knew it wasn't just because what he had seen just now.

That night at the police station was one reason he had his suspicions.

And the way they always seem to look at each other? 

How Cheryl seems to not like him ever since he started seeing Toni.

The way they acted around him or with each other during those afternoons at the gym.

How Toni always seem distracted whenever Reggie mentions Cheryl's name.

He feels like a third wheel even when he's actually the one who 'dated' Toni.

Does Cheryl know Toni likes her? Does Toni know Cheryl likes her too? 

He wanted to know. But it wasn't his place.

He and Toni were nothing more than a couple of friends who just happened to hook-up now and then.

Still didn't make it any better.

Toni was wearing the necklace he gave, just like she said she would, so he's got that to feel great for.

He should go over there to wish her luck, he thought.

But by the time the third match was over and the Serpents had won the two matches, Serpents were crowding around Toni and Jughead, it was even hard to see her.

By the end of the fourth match, won by the Ghoulies, they were nowhere to be found.

To make his day worse, Cheryl Blossom was chosen as the Final Flag Girl.

Of course she was.

Then everyone got quiet as the two cars drove over to the starting line.

Toni got out, wearing a blue top of sort and casual black skinny pants.

Malachai, as he now knew go out of his red Ford Tudor.

They shook hands as Jughead came over to speak to them.

' Race over Herk Hervey's bridge, to Dead Man's Curve, first one back here wins.'

With that they entered their cars. 

Then Cheryl Blossom came over, in the most dramatic way possible, in between the two cars.

She gave a look to Toni, which made Reggie roll his eyes for some reason.

He was focusing his gaze on Toni from his point of view that he missed Cheryl waving the flags as the two cars sped over to Herk Hervey.

The crowd cheered so loud, he's afraid the sheriff's station could actually hear it.

This was the final decision-making round.

The two teams were tied and whoever returns back first would win.

Things wouldn't change much for the north siders, they were just here to kill some weekend time. Or whoever they could find booze this early in the morning.

He tried to make small talk with his football buddies, secretly rooting for Toni's car to be seen first, driving back to the finish line.

Less than 5 minutes later, around 11:45, they heard the sound of what could be a fire cracker going off, but louder.

A gunshot. Followed by a few more.

Everyone became quiet.

Reggie didn't have time to think when a couple Serpents got into their motorcycles and drove towards the source of the sound.

Because it was in the direction of where the two cars went.

Where Toni went.