29

Toni explained everything to Cheryl on the way back home.

From Reggie to the car explosion, sparing no details behind.

Cheryl nodded, occasionally asking a few questions back.

' What I don't get it is, why would anyone shoot at us?' Toni complained.

' How so? '

' We're each other's rivals. There's no other gang we have beef with.'

' Except the north siders.' Cheryl suggested.

This surprised Toni, because Cheryl was a north sider. A pretty big one at heart.

' That's coming from you.' Toni said, crossing her arms, then hissed as she brushed her injured hand with her jacket.

' I have something to tell you too.' Cheryl said to Toni.

She then proceeded to tell her everything she saw that night at the barn with her father and the Ghoulies.

' Cheryl, don't get mad, but is it possible that your father might have something to do with what happened?'

Cheryl didn't say anything, but slowed down the car.

' That was the first thing that came to mind. That's why I said what I said.'

' But are we sure? Because I don't want to accuse someone of something they didn't do.'

Cheryl understood why Toni said it but didn't bother to address the matter.

' I don't know what to think anymore.'

Toni would've said more, but to be honest she just wanted to go back home to sleep.

They exchanged no other word the rest of the way.

Cheryl parked a few blocks away from the trailer parks when they arrived.

' What were you going to say to me after the race?'

' Hmm?' Toni turned down the sun visor on the car to block the incoming sunlight.

Cheryl repeated the question.

' Oh that. One of them was the fact that Reggie and I are, well, no longer together, of sorts.'

' And?'

' I was actually going to ask you out.'

' Ohh.' Cheryl turned her sun visor down too, not knowing what else to say or do.

' I know you don't want things to be public or anything. And I know you're family doesn't really like us or me.'

' I don't care about that.'

' All of that?'

' Well, maybe my parents. Maybe my father.'

' What if we just keeps things quiet at the moment? While we figure ourselves out?'

' I agree.'

It got silent for a moment, before Toni cleared her throat.

' So, Cheryl, do you care for a milkshake sometimes?'

' I would love to.' Cheryl smiled.

Toni has never seen Cheryl smile like that before.

She wished to see it more.

[ Later that night, at the Thornhill Mansion ]

Cheryl might have left out the part that her father did own a hunting rifle and that he was pretty good at it.