Part 50: Opening Day (FINAL CHAPTER!)

It's the big day. The opening day. Aaron and Roni didn't get an ounce of sleep. They end up going on a late night drive. They just talk about life while eating some Dunkin Donuts and Taco Bell. Roni makes sure to avoid dairy.

"I'm scared, excited, happy, sad, and nervous at the same time" She says and lays her head on his shoulder. They're sitting on the edge of the railing in the park. As always they're pretty sure they aren't supposed to be back there but that hasn't stopped them before.

"It sounds like you don't know how to feel" Aaron says

"I really don't" She responds

"I feel you because I don't know either"

"It's so weird"

"It's euphoric" he says. Their hands are interlocked. Roni can feel the imprint of the still healing tattoo. It's been like that even though they got it a month ago.

"You think we should get going? Lear and Sherry are going to have a heart attack if you're not back home by the morning"

"You're right" they jump off of the railing and sneak away from the street lights. It's a well known, not-so-secret that those lights equal being seen by cameras, which is the last thing that they want.

"I'm glad they don't update their security here" he says as he backs out of the parking lot.

"They're pretty stupid for that" Roni says. She takes a sip of her slushy.

"It works in our favor"

"That's true" the car ride back consist of low volume music. They don't want to blow their cover. They've done this plenty of times, even when he didn't live with Lear. They didn't want to get pulled over by police or that would've been the end but now they have other demons to deal with. Aaron drops her off first.

"You sure you don't want to stay the night? We could just tell them that we went to stock up on something for the opening" Roni says

"Baby you know that's not going to work. I promise it's all going to be ok. Try to get some sleep. I'll FaceTime you until you fall asleep" He says

"Promise?" Her bottom lip sort of hangs.

"Pinky promise" he says and gives her a kiss good night. He heads home. Alex covers for him as always. Aaron does it for him all the time. Alex stays downstairs and watches YouTube on his phone until Aaron comes. He unlocks the door making sure the alarm doesn't go off. They both sneak upstairs. Lear's room is almost at the back of the house so it's easy because he can't hear much from back there.

"Thanks" Aaron says to Alex.

"Can you cover for me in like three days?" Alex says

"That means I don't owe you"

"Deal" Alex says and they shake on it. Aaron slips into the bed and calls Roni. She's wrapped up in a hoodie that's pulled right and in thousands of blankets.

"I wish I could be there to cuddle you but right now my hoodie is going to have to do" Aaron says

"Can I wash it and give it back to you to wear? It's dirty but I want it to smell like you"

"Mhmm" He hums. He's getting a little sleepy. She loves it when he does that. It's so sweet and sounds like he's unbothered. She looks at him with his closed eyes and yawns.

"Sleepy?" He asks

"Definitely" She says. He tells her goodnight and she drifts off to sleep. He strips his shirt off and throws it in the hamper like a basketball in a basket. He looks at Roni's face as he goes off to sleep. Falling asleep on FaceTime is one of the best feeling things. He wakes up to his alarm clock.