Chapter Five

I smiled and offered Heather a light wave as she walked into some clothing store. As soon as she was out of sight I turned and walked the other way. I saw a music store when we walked in and I wanted to check it out.

The little bell above the door signaled my arrival as I entered. "Hey, can I help you?"

I looked up to see a curly headed boy walking towards me. "Umm, yeah actually. Do you guys have any Green Day?"

Did his smile get wider or did I just imagine it? "Yeah, we do. Right this way," he said, dimples showing.

I followed the fairly cute guy lever to a section of the store that looked just about perfect. "Are you looking for anything special?" He asks.

"Um, not really. I just need some music." I look carefully through the section and then try and find some Blink-182.

"You must have just moved here," the boy says to me before carefully shifting his bandana.

I laugh lightly,"is it that obvious?"

He smiles brightly. "No, not really. Just your accent and the face that you look like a high schooler but I've never seen you around and that I know everyone who lives in this town," He rambles.

Laughing I say, "I'm Rosalie. My dad and I just moved here from America."

He raises his eyebrow into a perfect arch. "Just on a whim? This was an up and move out of no where situation?"

"Well, no. My dad is getting married."

He points at me, "to Madison!" The nice boy practically shouts.

I laugh and shake my head at his cuteness. "Yeah."

"That's cool. My friend Calum fell for her daughter. We all told him that was mistake..." He trails off looking at me. "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to insult your family." He's quick to apologize.

"They are not my family," I say through clenched teeth. "What did Heather do?"

He puts his large hand on the back of his neck and looks down at the floor. "Well nothing really, she just, uh, well you see... What happened was..."

He is interrupted by my name being called from someone walking in the door. "Rose, are you ready to go?" Heather says, looking up from her phone only for a second. "Okay, rule one: we don't talk to Ashton and his gang of misfits."

"Excuse me?" I ask careful to pronounce each vowel perfectly. "Did you say I CAN'T hang out with someone?"

"Hey, it's really not a big deal..." The cute boy, Ashton, says from behind me.

"Actually, it is a big deal. My mom is dead Heather, so I don't take kindly to people acting like her." I shake my head. "Thank you but I think I'll find my own way home. If I get in the car with you, then you won't be getting out alive."

Heather has been staring blankly at me for my entire speech. "Whatever, Rose. I was going to be a nice sister and include you in my group at school, but have it your way. I hope you have a splendid time with your weirdo buddies." Then she turns and walks out of the store.

"You will never be my sister," I practically hiss after her.

"I think my friends will like you just fine," Ashton laughs from behind me.

I wish I could laugh, but I can't. I'm shell shocked that I let the part about my moms death slip out. I'm actually beginning to shake. I turn so I facing Ashton but I know I can't let him, or anyone else here know about this. I drop the Green Day CD, turn, and rush out of that store. Full speed ahead to the nearest restroom.