Chapter Nine

I was walking into a store that sold cupcakes when I felt someone tap on my shoulder. I jumped up about two feet and spun on my heel expecting to see Heather.

"Hey, Rose," Michael smiled brightly. His red and black hair were contrasting to his orange work shirt. "What are you doing here?"

I laughed and shook my head. When I saw his confused look I explained, "I'm new and this is the mall, what else do I have to do?"

He smiled and nodded to the counter. "This is the best cupcake place in town. Are you getting something?"

"Actually, I'm putting in a job application."

"A job?" He questioned. "I just thought that... Um..."

"That I was a snobby rich girl who got whatever she wanted and didn't have to do anything in return," I finished.

He shrugged his shoulders and laughed nervously. He scratched the back of his head, "Yes, actually."

"Well I happen to like working and anything that can help me get away from Heather is worth a try."

His face brightened up before he started talking. "I work at the video game place. I don't know if your into that thing but I could totally get you a job. I'm pretty close to the manager and he is brothers with the owner. Actually it's a funny story but I only got the job because of them and-"

"Michael, stop talking," I laughed. "You're rambling."

"Yeah sorry. I do that sometimes," his voiced quieted and he looked down at the floor.

"Mikey, calm down," I smiled. "I would love for you to get me the job."

"Awesome," he smiled. "I have to get back to work but all of us are going to the fair downtown. If you wanna go that would be awesome."

"Yeah, I'll be there. What time?"

"Around six. We are going out for pizza first." He thought for a minute. "I'll send Ashton to come and get you," he decided, nodding his head in confirmation.

"Sound like a wicked plan," I replied.

He turned around to leave. "See ya then, Rose."

I smiled at the thought of my new friend. "Absolutely, Mikey."