15.

nobody's pov
april 22nd
12:10 pm

jian sat down across from phan, setting his binder on top of the table, "we need to have a talk."

"i've been quiet all day and haven't talked to you or the group." phan looked at jian, "what could there possibly be to talk about?"

"are you okay?" the boy asked, "i've been really concerned after what you said to mrs.che about your parents."

the boy cleared his throat, looking down at his food, "why do you care?"

"because even if you're a total jerk at times, you still don't deserve to be neglected by your parents." jian responded, resting his head on top of his palm, "is everything okay?"

"i'm used to it, jian." phan's eyes remained on his food, as he dragged his fork across his food, "they're too busy with work and fighting over useless shit to care about me."

the younger sighed out, "that's not something you should be used to."

"well, it's been happening since i was six. i had no other option." phan shrugged, "it doesn't even matter, it's my life, cant change it now."

"so is that the reason why you act the way you act?" jian questioned.

"what do you mean?" phan looked up, furrowing his eyebrows.

"you know exactly what i mean." the younger responded.

phan sighed out, looking back down at his food, "i'm just scared of getting close to people, because once they start giving me affection, i know i'm going to rely on them and get attached." the boy paused, "and i can't do that to myself, especially knowing that people can switch up on you so fast." the boy then sadly laughed, "i mean, shit, my own parents pushed me away like i never meant anything to them."

jian watched as tears formed in phan's eyes, "phan.." the younger whispered out, raising his eyebrows in concern.

the elder shook his head, packing up his stuff, "just mind your business, jian. it's whatever and i'm used to it."

the boy then left the table, wiping around his eyes as he walked away. jian stayed back, watching the boy walk away and letting out a sigh, "at least i know the kid has feelings."