23.

nobody's pov
may 7th
2:40 pm

"hana, i can't do this, i'm scared." the boy whined, refusing to step foot into his house.

"come on, jax. this is the first step in officially accepting yourself anyways." hana paused, "actually, realizing who you are is, but that's besides the point."

"you don't even like girls." jax pointed out.

"and? i've been around kai and nalani long enough to know what it's like to come out, even if i don't have to do it myself." she responded, "now let's go come out."

"if i tell them, what do i get?" the boy crossed his arms over his chest.

"dude, are you really going to make me bribe you into coming out?" hana raised her eyebrows.

jax fell quiet, "maybe." he mumbled, "i'm scared, okay. i need something that'll motivate me."

"i'll give you a high five." the girl shrugged, "i spent my money on getting ice cream with koji."

the elder hummed, "a high five can motivate me, sure."

"good, now go come out you loser." hana smiled at the boy, encouraging him.

jax nodded his head, going to his door and unlocking it. the boy's hand stopped at the handle, afraid to open it.

"it's not going to bite you, you know." the girl pointed out, as she took a seat on the grass and watched the boy.

"i'm scared." jax responded, "what if they don't accept me?"

"you'll have me on your side, jax." she reassured the boy, "come on, you got this."

the boy sighed out, nodding his head. the boy opened the front door, taking his shoes off and setting down his backpack. hana remained outside, as they decided it'd be best the boy told them on his own.

the boy walked through his house, finding his parents in the kitchen. the boy greeted his parents, before telling them he had to talk to them.

"what is it you need to talk to us about?" jax's mom questioned, furrowing her eyebrows at the younger.

"uh," jax looked down at his socks, "i- uh." the boy cleared his throat, "y-you see, i-i kind of like b-boys, girls too, b-but also boys."

the boy's parents fell silent, which only frightened the younger. "p-please don't be mad, i'm sorry." he apologized.

"we're not mad." jax's dad shook his head, "we've just known."

"yeah, we've seen the way you act with tuah." his mother added on, "so does this mean you and tuah are dating?"

jax shook his head, feeling relief at his parents acceptance. "thank you for accepting me." the boy smiled, "also, i'm going to go hangout with my friend hana for awhile, is that okay?"

the boy's father nodded, "just be back by five."

"i will." the boy responded, telling his parents bye before heading back to the door and slipping his shoes back on.

the boy then left his house, closing and locking the door behind him. he then ran over to hana, leaning down to the girl and holding his hand out.

"i did it, give me my high five." jax said with a smile on his face.

the girl stood up, giving jax a high five, "see, i knew you could do it." she smiled.

"they knew." jax responded, "like how did they know?"

"maybe by the way you look at tuah and hold onto him?" hana questioned, "just a thought."

jax laughed at the girls response, then letting out a sigh, "i miss my tuah."