39.

nobody's pov
june 15th
2:00 pm

while jian and hyunsoo were spending time together in korea, their friend group organized a picnic at the park in order to cure their summer boredom. the group was sad about the two not being in the same place as them, but they were happy they were spending time with each other, and they figured they should do the same.

the five kids were eating together, enjoying their food and snacks they brought. while they were eating, nalani realized something was missing.

"where's kai?" nalani asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"you know kai, she's always late." hana responded, "she'll be here soon."

nalani pouted at the response, turning back to the fruit platter. the girl ate a couple of strawberries while waiting for kai to show up. suddenly, nalani felt a tap on her shoulder. the girl looked over, and up, seeing kai smiling softly and wearing her first ever dress.

kai did a small twirl for nalani, only to turn back to her, "d-do you like?"

"like?" nalani questioned back, shaking her head, "i love it, you're so beautiful."

the group looked over at the two girls, all suddenly becoming shocked at how kai was wearing a dress. it might've not been a big deal to others, but kai practically refused to dress girly. but, now that she was, the girl looked so beautiful embracing her true self.

"i-i took awhile to get ready, b-because i was so nervous to wear something like this." kai confessed, nervously cracking her fingers.

"you look so beautiful." nalani told the girl, "you're the prettiest girl i know."

the younger smiled softly, sitting down next to nalani. kai wrapped her arms around nalani's waist, resting her head on the girl's shoulder. nalani wrapped an arm around kai, whispering into the girl's ear, "you should wear dresses and skirts more often."

kai looked up, "really?" she asked, "i-i still don't know how i feel."

"you are so beautiful, and you should embrace who you are." nalani responded, "dresses and skirts suit you, and they look amazing on you."

kai smiled at nalani, nodding her head, "okay, i will."

hana looked over, smiling at the two. "you look very pretty, kai." she spoke up, "dresses are so perfect on you."

"thank you." kai said, before turning back to nalani and cuddling up against her.

hana nodded her head, as she turned to look at koji, seeing the boy talking to tuah. the girl laid her head on the boy's shoulder, grabbing his attention. koji looked over, smiling softly as he grabbed the girl's hand, intertwining their fingers.

"you guys are ga-" tuah paused, "no, that's still gay."

hana started giggling, "so you're just gonna act like jax isn't resting against you as he plays his game?"

jax looked up from his nintendo switch, glancing at hana. the younger then looked up at tuah, "she's right, you're gay too."

"you're the one that sat in between my legs and rested against me." tuah argued, shaking his head.

"and you're the one who wrapped your arms around me." jax responded, turning back to his nintendo, "you're gay."

"you're gay." tuah mimicked the younger, leaning down and kissing his forehead, "i'm gay for you."

"gay." nalani called out, laughing.

koji shook his head, turning to hana, "how do you feel being the only straight person?"

hana paused for a moment, "phan is stra-" the girl cut herself off, "wait a minute."

jax started laughing, as he looked over at hana, "you're the only straight person."

"no i'm not." hana disagreed, "there has to be someone else that was straight, right?"

"well, we did keep to ourselves." kai pointed out, "maybe another classmate was straight."

"but, she's the only straight one in our group." tuah mentioned, "a het."

koji looked over at tuah, shaking his head, "she's my het."

"het alert." tuah teased, "gays, we've got them."

hana started laughing, "you guys are so annoying." she said, "but i love you all."

"but i'm the most loved." koji smiled, "i win all your love."

the girl nodded her head, holding koji's hand tighter, "you definitely win all of my love, koko."

"het alert." kai giggled out, "my favorite hets."

jax laughed at the teasing, as he got out of tuah's grasp. the boy set down his nintendo switch, grabbing the soccer ball that was next to it, "you guys want to play soccer?"

hana let go of koji's hand, standing up, "let's play."

koji stood up as well, then tuah, then kai after whining over how she didn't wanna leave nalani's grasp, and then nalani. the group formed their teams, which was nalani, kai, and jax against koji, hana, and tuah.

"wait." kai said, grabbing the groups attention, "how am i gonna play in a dress?"

nalani looked over, taking off her jacket and walking towards kai. the girl tied her jacket around kai's waist, securing the dress, "good?"

kai nodded her head, "thank you." the girl smiled, then turning back to the group, "let's play."

"wait, wait." hana put her hand out, "i need to put my hair up if i'm gonna be running."

"i can do it for you." koji spoke up, "do you have a hair tie?"

hana nodded, taking the hair tie off her wrist and handing it to koji. the boy then walked behind hana, brushing her hair back with his hand. koji made sure her hair was flat on top and the bottom before tying it up. once the boy tied her hair, he turned the girl around and pulled out some strands of hair, adding more to the style.

"pretty." koji smiled, "i like it."

"thank you." hana smiled back, turning to the group, "now, let's get this game started."

authors note:
bruh i rlly shouldn't let past experiences ruin me and let me be scared of relationships but i'm a clown so wbk