Five

Guilty Conscience

"Dr. Jeon will see you now," the receptionist says, smiling widely, and Taehyung bows his head politely as he walks in. His heart still beats frantically, and his fingers are numb with anxiety, but he holds his head up high.

"I was expecting Hoseok," is the first thing Jeongguk says, looking up from his spot at the window, medical file in his hands. The light cast around him makes him look like an angel, glowing ethereally and making the man's sharp jawline more pronounced, casting shadows around his broad frame. Jeongguk looks like heaven and hell.

Taehyung ignores the sting in his chest at the words, but fixes a detached smirk on his face, trying not to look phased. It had been two weeks since he had heard Jeongguk's voice, seen his face, but everything is still so new, and he can't wrap his mind around how intensely different this new Jeon Jeongguk is.

"Sorry to disappoint. Besides," Taehyung strides up to the desk. "I wanted to speak to you privately."

Jeongguk laughs, snapping the file closed and placing it on his desk before taking a seat in the massive chair. "I am an incredibly busy man, Taehyung ssi. If you've come to bother me about trivialities of the past, I don't want to hear them."

It takes everything in Taehyung not to wince at Jeongguk's harsh tone, the sharp glint in his eyes.

"I am a busy man as well, Dr. Jeon. My time is precious."

"Then stop wasting it."

Taehyung opens his mouth to retort, but he can't think of anything to say. He wouldn't know what to say in the first place.

Can we talk about what happened to us?

But he already knows the answer he'd get. He controls the embarrassed flush threatening to stain his cheeks, and clears his throat.

"I've actually come here to extend my personal invitation to the gala I'm hosting next week." Jeongguk raises an eyebrow. "For the heart center?" His voice is less cold this time, but still stiff.

"It's actually... for the orphanage I sponsor." And normally, this would be a selling point for Taehyung, the philanthropic CEO, always giving back to the community (or so those magazines will say), but revealing this piece of information to Jeongguk makes him nervous. Like he's being judged.

"An... orphanage," Jeongguk deadpans, eyes intense on Taehyung, as though searching for a lie.

"I bought Hyunsik Orphanage," he says slowly, and watches as the cold in Jeongguk's eyes turns into something sharper, more fire than ice.

"Did you now?" he asks slowly, leaning forward to rest his chin over his laced fingers.

"Five years ago. I've been supporting the kids." Taehyung controls the urge to stammer, because Jeongguk's gaze sears through him, so heated it makes Taehyung's stomach turn.

Jeongguk straightens, as though taking control of his own emotions, and settles a blank look on his face. "Guilty conscience?"

Taehyung sighs. "It started out that way, yes," he admits. Jeongguk huffs a laugh. "But since then, it's become more than that. The kids are... wonderful. They're the light of my life." A fond smile plays on Taehyung's face, despite the tension in the room.

"That's very cute," Jeongguk says monotonously. "The press must love that story."

Taehyung frowns, immediately defensive. "I'm not looking for your opinion," he snaps, and he curses himself for losing his carefully maintained composure. He wills himself to reign in his irritation at Jeongguk's aloof attitude.

"I need to ask you for a favor," he says, through partially gritted teeth.

Jeongguk barks out a laugh. "A favor? Who would have thought, the great Kim Taehyung would be asking tiny little Jeon Jeongguk for a favor?

"I'm serious, Jeongguk." And maybe it's the tone, thinly veiled with desperation, or the look he gives, half pleading, but Jeongguk sobers up very quickly.

"I've already saved your life, Taehyung ssi. What more can I do?"

"There's a boy... his name is Park Jimin. He has the same illness that I did when I was his age."

"He had rheumatic fever?" Jeongguk asks, concern thick in his voice. "How old was he when he was diagnosed? Has he been receiving any treatment?"

"I've been paying for his hospital bills since he was born, and they're keeping him stable but... he needs treatment. And the only one qualified to do it is you."

Silence is thick in the office as Jeongguk processes Taehyung's request. "You want me to operate on him? He's still a child, the complications are too... "

"You don't have to do surgery. Just... make him healthy again. You're the only one who would know how."

Jeongguk sighs, and Taehyung knows he's gotten through. Because the one thing Jeon Jeongguk could never do was refuse a person who needed his help.

"Alright, I'll try my best," Jeongguk concedes. "I need to meet with him soon."

Taehyung breaks into a smile, relieved. "You can meet him at the gala."

"The children will be at the gala?" Jeongguk asks.

"Of course. This is their cause. They deserve to be seen and heard."

______________________________________