3⃣0⃣- Five

Another shot

Taehyung's had two shots of vodka before Jeongguk comes in. He's at the bar with Hoseok and an event planner, having an internal battle between ordering another shot of vodka or going for the whiskey.

"I apologize for being so late," Jeongguk bows his head before sliding into the seat next to Hoseok. He gives Taehyung, who's sitting directly across from him, a momentary glance before turning to Hoseok and the event planner with a more amicable smile.

"No, that's alright, Jeongguk ssi. Your assistant notified me right away," Hoseok says graciously.Taehyung had been informed that Jeongguk was having complications during a surgery and it was running longer than usual. It was just as well. He was already strung out. Might as well string himself out for just a bit longer.

Taehyung had made sure not to have too much to drink-- this was meant to be a professional meeting-- but he knew he'd need something to take off the edge when he saw Jeongguk. They hadn't spoken, much less seen each other in two weeks, despite being the only two living on the same apartment floor.

He'd figured it would be best, keeping away, because Jeongguk had made it too painfully clear that Taehyung's presence was unwanted and Taehyung wasn't going to sit around and let the younger man walk all over him until he bled. That's not how forgiveness worked.

So he'd resigned himself to the fact that Jeongguk would probably never let him in again or let him even explain himself. But it didn't make it any less painful, because for a moment, Taehyung had a foolish notion that maybe they had a chance.

He didn't want to be miserable just because of Jeongguk though. He still has a life to live, a massive business to run, and people who care about him with the same intensity and compassion that he himself did. If Jeongguk didn't want that, there was nothing Taehyung could do.

He fiddles with the clear shot glass in his hands, so he doesn't have to look up and see Jeongguk.He's not drunk, but he's had enough that he probably wouldn't be able to control his shameless ogling because as much as he's actively trying to distance himself from the younger man, Jeongguk is still overwhelmingly attractive and he'd be a fool not to notice, especially not with the alcohol thrumming in his veins.

"So, we have everything planned perfectly," the event planner says, swiping through his tablet as he talks, "I've booked the catering and the musicians, found the invitation template." Finally, the man seems to find what he's looking for, and turns the tablet so the others can see the picture.

"I've found this magnificent yacht. It's the perfect size for the number of guests and I'm imagining stringing lights along the..."

Jeongguk's eyes snap to Taehyung, the event planner's voice fading away as he takes in the older man's stricken expression. His eyes are vacant and glazed and he's clutching tightly to the shot glass in his hand. Jeongguk half wants to pry it from Taehyung's hands so it doesn't shatter and make him bleed.

"Apparently his hyung had an accident in a boat so he doesn't like the ocean anymore," Jimin's
words ring around Jeongguk's head and makes his heart lurch.

He wonders why Taehyung isn't saying something. And Hoseok isn't saying anything either. The assistant is enraptured in what the event planner is saying. Jeongguk seems to be the only one noticing Taehyung having a minor panic attack.

There's a glass of amber liquid in front of him-- a glass of brandy that he hadn't touched for fear of losing even a bit of his edge, but he downs it in one go, letting the burn in his throat distract him from what he's about to do.

"I don't think a yacht party is the best idea," he says suddenly, keeping his tone polite. "Perhaps we can agree on a different venue? I'm not a fan of the ocean." The event planner opens his mouth to disagree, but he sees the firmness in Jeongguk's eyes.

"Y-yes, of course, I can reconfigure the plans." The man fumbles with his tablet, and Hoseok gives Jeongguk a strange look, but immerses himself in helping decide on a new location.

Jeongguk spares Taehyung a glance, and he immediately regrets it, because the older man's eyes are wide and swimming with gratitude. It makes Jeongguk's insides churn.

He orders another shot.