15

The party was in full swing. And while it wasn't extravagant, Cassidy was having a fantastic time. It was more or less a cookout at Austin's house, someone out back making burgers and people and even some kids swimming in the large pool in the backyard. The pool that Cassidy hadn't been in yet. Her and Kelsey decided to sit on the ends of the pool and let their feet soak in the water. It was just starting to get dark and the weather was perfect. The pair sipped on their bud lights in a comfortable silence.

"How did we get here?? Like. What?" Kelsey laughed.

"It's weird isn't it? I cant even picture my life any different now. Going home is going to suck major ass." Cassidy let her head fall onto Kelsey's shoulder, and Kelsey did the same.

"What if we don't.." Kelsey finally spoke up.

"What?" Cassidy lifted her head to look at her best friend.

"Yeah.. I mean. We can get jobs. A new apartment.." Kelsey took a drink from her beer. "You're right it's dumb." She shook her head. And exhaled. "I'm gonna go find Eric."

Cassidy sat alone on the edge of the pool for a few more moments, just watching the people around her. She kept replaying what Kelsey said over and over. She was suddenly approached by Dre. She hadn't really seen much of him since being here.

"Cass! What's up!" He cheered as he pulled a patio chair up next to her.

"Hey Dre! Just People watching." She motioned towards the party in front of her.

"I feel ya. Hey, I'm glad you could make it out here. Austin's been goin through some shit lately and to see him this happy, and inspired, is a really great thing."

"Thanks Dre! That's really nice to hear. He's made me really happy too." She smiled.

"Not gonna lie, we've seen a lot of girls backstage, but I've never seen him look at anyone like you.." he grinned. Cassidy felt the feeling again. The sinking feeling that she'd felt before. But this was different.

Dre could have meant lately, as in just on the tour in general.. but Cassidy couldn't help but wonder if he meant lately.. literally. She stopped listening to what Dre was talking about and stared at her beer bottle in her hands. The faint sound of a guitar strumming from across the yard is what broke her from her thoughts.

She looked up and saw Austin sitting at a table playing the guitar she'd gotten him. They locked eyes, and he waved her over. She and Dre both walked over.

"Hey baby .. come sing with me." He tried to give her his best puppy dog face.

"Absolutely not." She deadpanned.

"Oh come on!!!" Cassidy heard Kelsey speak up.

"Come on. Just look at me.. sing Stay with me." Austin looked right into Cassidys eyes. She couldn't say no.

"Fine. Stay. And that's it." She practically mumbled as she glared at her boyfriend. Austin instantly began playing the song.

Cassidy had never really performed before, and while this was hardly a performance, it was more than just her best friend or brother.

"It's true
That all that you know is all that you are
You said that it's all that you want and more
Fuck off and pour another drink
And tell me what you think
You know that I'm too drunk to talk right now
You put your cigarette out on my face
So beautiful, please.."

Austin took over, "don't break your back for me, I'll put you out of your misery."

She committed to looking at Austin throughout the whole song, which made her feel much better. Like it was just the two of them. The song was over and Cassidy felt her muscles relax instantly.