41

*** TRIGGER WARNING ***

Maya

I walk into the entrance of the building and head straight for the stairs. I climb up to the second floor and pull out my key that I've had in my back pocket since the first day of treatment.

I put the key in the door, praying that my mother is out somewhere.

I turn the door knob, open the door, and slide inside, shutting the door behind me.

I turn around to see my mother on the sofa.

"Well would you look who decided to come home!" My mother slurs.

Of course she's drunk.

"I was in-" I begin, but she cuts me off.

"How long have you been gone?"

"A month."

"I could've sworn you were gone longer."

"Nope just a month..."

"Where have you been?"

"Treatment."

"Oh now I remember! You and your attention seeking ass."

"I wasn't being-"

"How'd you even get out of there? Don't you need an adult?" She questions.

"No, no they let you out after 30 days." I lie, not wanting her to know about Ariana, Amelia, and the boys.

"Well now that you're back, you better make yourself useful and get me a drink." She demands.

I go into our small kitchen and open our small refrigerator.

Of course, the only thing in it is beer, alcohol, and vodka.

I'm surprised she hasn't died from alcohol poising yet.

I grab a beer, assuming that's what she wants. I shut the refrigerator door and go back into our small living room. I hand her the beer.

She looks at it funny.

"This a beer?" She slurs.

"Yes."

"It's not."

"It is."

"No. It's not."

"It is." I argue, pissed off at the fact she's so drunk she can't even tell it's a beer.

She tries to grab my wrist, but I run to my room.

I slam the door and lock it so she can't get in.

"Yeah you better stay in there and don't you dare come out!" I hear her scream.

I wasn't planning on it.

My room is very small and dark and cold, but it's always been my escape from her.

I open the drawer to my wooden night stand that's next to my old bed.

I pull out my old, cracked ipod touch that one of my friends gave to me at school. It was hers, but she said I could have it since she got a new one. It's like 4 years old.

I set it on my bed.

I shut the drawer half way and something falls out.

I look down to see what it is.

A smile crosses my face.

It's an old friend of mine.

A blade.